1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spam Bots

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by KevinEssence, Jan 15, 2016.

1. KevinEssence

KevinEssence Member

I've tried doing research about this..every night there are at least 2-4+ spam bots that come onto the forums and spam muscle enhancement crap. Has been going on for months now, I've tried many plugins and none seem to dis-regard that. Anyone have any ideas as it's creating a big mess when no one is online to deal with it.

2. RoldanLT

RoldanLT Well-Known Member

3. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

It'd be useful to know what your Spam Management settings are in order to help further.

4. KevinEssence

KevinEssence Member

5. RoldanLT

RoldanLT Well-Known Member

You need to understand what kind of spam do you have? and adjust that addons option.
    It is very powerful.
    Like blocking certain counties.

6. KevinEssence

KevinEssence Member

7. borbole

borbole Well-Known Member

xenforo has some great anti spam protection. Are you using them?

8. KevinEssence

KevinEssence Member

9. KevinEssence

KevinEssence Member

10. rainmotorsports

rainmotorsports Well-Known Member

Properly configured it should work. You have to realize the majority of spam on a xenforo site is human generated.

I have had 1 slip through in 6 months. Mainly because he was US based. Some sites can't afford to block the 2 Pakistani and 2 Indian isps this crap comes from but we can. Tr He other half comes from VPS hosts which we can block due to almost no chance of a real user being on those hostnames except for small private and customs VPNs.

11. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

You should get a Project Honeypot key and an Akismet key too. You may also want to add some spam phrases.

12. W1zzard

W1zzard Well-Known Member

My addon (TPU: Detect Spam Registrations) will write logging data for each registration into XF's spam trigger log. Check there and find out what those registrations share (country, isp etc).
    Then block them in the settings of my addon

RoldanLT and Xon like this.
  13. KevinEssence

KevinEssence Member

:(https://gyazo.com/2311cad43f432c74b1125c7274240ba6

Where is this data logged?

14. Mouth

Mouth Well-Known Member

KevinEssence likes this.
  15. W1zzard

KevinEssence likes this.
  16. KevinEssence

KevinEssence Member

17. W1zzard

Yup, find the patterns and put in appropriate matching actions, this requires a little bit of fine tuning as different forums get hit by different spammers

18. KevinEssence

KevinEssence Member

Thank you very much.

19. KevinEssence

KevinEssence Member

I also thought about having a minimum time registered to create a thread. Is there any way to do this?

20. W1zzard

This will annoy the hell out of your regular users. It's possible using XenForo Usergroup Promotions.

Rather use the moderate all posts functionality of my anti-spam addon for high-risk countries/ISPs

eva2000 and KevinEssence like this.