XF 1.5 Spam attack from disgruntled member via tor network.

Mr Lucky

I'm not sure what tor network is/does.

We have been threatened by a disgruntled member:

Do you know what a tor network is?

Basicly, it's an internet browser that allows me to switch IP, with whoever else is using it.

Now, i could go about making 30 - 40 accounts, spamming the **** out of the site since you're being such arseholes and you wouldn't be able to do **** about it.

Good luck shutting em all down.

We have had a series of signups this morning which I presume are him.

They are being flagged due to SFS and the alter ego addon, I have upped security so new members need three posts before promotion to not needing moderation.

Does anyone know of any other measures in xenforo to stop this?

Aren't disgruntled members fun? :mad:

I remember looking around for a resource to block proxy and tor registrations on XF and I think I recall seeing one from ThemeHouse. You might do a search in resources for "tor" and see what comes up.

Thanks, but i think he was actually all mouth, although we had a rash of registrations, I now think only one or two were him - just a coincidence that we had a spate of them. At least one/two were from a legit user naively creating a duplicate account.

As nothing got validated, he may have now given up, thinking it would be easier to hoodwink us, whereas it will turn out being more work for him while we just sit back and reject his efforts before he can do any damage.

Touch wood.

Top Bottom