XF 1.5 Sorting out my permissions and promotions

My New Year's resolution is to understand this and fix it.

I have read this and it's a great help:

https://xenforo.com/community/resources/implementing-permissions-across-multiple-user-groups.358/

Our current situation (to stop spam by Private Conversation.)
Every user goes into a New User Group which is not allowed to start a private conversation.
After they have 10 posts and 2 days, they get promoted to Registered User and can start a private conversation.

But, although they do get promoted to Registered User in the Secondary User Group - they seem to still have the permissions of New User only and New User appears as their title.

Is this the solution?
1)
Batch update the 17,000 New Users to Registered User
2) Remove the permission to send PMs from the Registered User Group
3) Create a new group "at least 10 posts" .
4) Set the Start New Conversation for "At Least 10 Posts" to Allow
5) Set the promotion from Registered Users to "At least 10 Posters"

If that works, fine. But I like the idea of identifying New Users as New Users.

Can I set up a group called "New Users" and put recently Registered Users with fewer than 10 posts into it? How do I that?

Thanks

Brendan

But, although they do get promoted to Registered User in the Secondary User Group - they seem to still have the permissions of New User only and New User appears as their title.

If you check that resource again, you'll see that all members should be in Registered as primary.

Then any other groups they are promoted to should be secondary and only need to change any permissions that are different to primary.

So you Registered group is sett with their initial permissions, in your case no Conversatioins is part of that.

Then when the criteria is reached the rpomotion adds a secondary group (at least 10 posts or whatever) whose only changed permissions are to allow conversations (everythoing else inherits from the primary Registered group)

So I think your solution is more or less what I'm saying here.

Thanks Mr Lucky

That is what I suggested myself, although maybe a bit long winded, but thanks for confirming it.

Just to confirm then that everyone starts as a Registered User without the permission to start a conversation.

I can't set up a "new user" group as such, because that is what the Registered User is?

Brendan

Just to confirm then that everyone starts as a Registered User without the permission to start a conversation.

I can't set up a "new user" group as such, because that is what the Registered User is?

UYes, upon registering they have Registed as primary. Just make this no conversations.

Think of it as "Only just registered", the very basic minimum permissions to which all other permissions can be added as secondaries.

I use this in the same way - no conversations or signatures and all posts gneed to be moderated .

After one post (that mods manually approve) their secondary group allows posting without moderation and conversations and signatures.

After 40 posts there is a urther promotion that allows them to post in our classified sales forum.

We also have a paid upgrade that promotes to a group that gives some extra privileges and also a shortcut to the classifieds without needing 40 posts

It's a very nice and elegant system.

Ah, I think I have my problem solved.

1) Mass move all New Users to Registered Users.
2) Change the name of the Registered Users Group to "Recently Registered"
3) Set up a new group called "Full Posters" or something.

Top Bottom