1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.4 Some umlauts got mixed up during import

Discussion in 'Installation, Upgrade, and Import Support' started by denam, Apr 29, 2015.

  1. denam

    denam Active Member

    I have noticed that after the import some of the umlauts were not imported correctly. This means that the content is mixed between correctly imported umlauts and incorrectly imported umlauts.

    Is there a mysql query which I could use to convert the following characters within all posts?

    convert from ü to ü
    convert from ö to ö
    convert from ä to ä
    convert from ß to ß
  2. Brogan

    Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

    This is a general query for replacing post content:
    UPDATE xf_post SET message = REPLACE(message,'current_content','new_content');
    Take a backup first though, or try it on a test forum if you have one, to ensure the results are as expected.

    You will probably also need to do it for the xf_conversation_message table.
    denam likes this.
  3. denam

    denam Active Member

    That query worked without problems. Thanks
  4. snoopy5

    snoopy5 Well-Known Member


    I had the same problem. I used also the code for find and replace above in phpmyadmin. In the SQL table the Umlaute ä, ü, ö and ß are shown now correctly, but in my Browser (Firefox newest version) it does sho still the i.e. ü für ü.

    What do I have to do that it shows in the Browser what is written in the mysql database (in this example the ü)?

  5. Brogan

    Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

    If you are referring to thread titles, you can use this option which will convert them to the Latin equivalents.

  6. snoopy5

    snoopy5 Well-Known Member

    No, it is in threadtitles and postings. As I said: Within the mysql table it is written correctly. I do not understand why it should be etter with latin 1.

    I plan to use this db to import in another xf forum. Are there settings I can use so that the imported postings do then display correctly in the target Xf forum?
  7. Mike

    Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

    No, it needs to be made correct in XF.

    This issue itself is an import issue. It generally needs to be solved by forcing the character set at the start of the import (thus requiring a re-import if changing it is necessary). It's usually caused by the connection parameters (or server configuration) being different when the import is done compared to how the source system connected to the database.

    Some replacement queries can resolve a couple places, but this data could be in every table touched by the import.
  8. snoopy5

    snoopy5 Well-Known Member

    mmmhhhh....this sounds like a nightmare, if I have to redo it all over again...

    Maybe there is hope in this special case. I did import 10 vb forums into one. I then delted all users except admin and all subforums except one. The reason for this is, that I deleted after a switch from vb to xf 3 years ago this specific subforum, but realized that too late. As far as I remember, after the switch 3 years ago, I also manually changed the umlaute in the xf db.

    So now I just wanted to import that one missing subforum into the "old" XF masterforum.

    My question therefore would be: If I only have the admin and no other user and only this one subforum and nothing else to import, will it be even than necessary to do the reimport again? If yes, do I have to set to latin1 n the vb db before the switch (phpmyadmin) or after each import in the XF db (how?)?

    It would be a ot of hassle to do again 10x vb->xf, then delete all unnecessary subforums in ACP ne by one and then delete all usergroups and users in ACP. This takes really ages...
  9. Mike

    Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

    You can still do the query approach if you'd like, though it doesn't touch most of the data that could be relevant. A fresh import is needed for that, but if that's not viable, you would have to go through the query method. If the query method doesn't work, it's either because the correct query isn't being run (you can tell by the number of rows updated), the query isn't run against the correct table/column (there are multiple ones depending on what you want to change), or there is caching that is making the query results not show.

Share This Page