Some questions about custom forum field (not profile fields)

Kevin

Up till now custom forum fields is not something I've really taken advantage of, or even used much, so I'm kind of starting with a blank slate in regards to doing my due diligence in determining how to proceed for a new project.

1. Does anybody have any public examples of XF forums taking advantage of custom forum fields that is viewable to guests?
  2. What types of data are you guys/gals capturing in your custom forum fields?
  3. Has anybody tried capturing an address in a custom field and then using Google Maps to display that location when the thread is displayed?
  4. Has anybody tried cross-linking a custom forum field to use an XF forum for its possible values? To clarify, if you have a Forum A with a bunch of threads and then in Forum B you have a custom forum field that uses the list of threads in Forum A as the list of possible values for the custom forum field in Forum B?
  5. Does anybody have any public examples of some custom styling of their custom forum fields?

(Not quite sure why this thread got moved to "Forum Management"..... 🤔)

Has anybody tried capturing an address in a custom field and then using Google Maps to display that location when the thread is displayed?
OK, a crude implementation of this was easier than I thought it'd be. Capture text in a custom field and then use the display option to use the maps embed iframe method. Needs to be cleaned up a bit for responsive mode but to get started with it works.

Well the questions seem to be directed more towards other XF admins running sites, rather than being specific support related questions.

Typically this is the best forum to get feedback from others on how they are using features.

OK, a crude implementation of this was easier than I thought it'd be. Capture text in a custom field and then use the display option to use the maps embed iframe method. Needs to be cleaned up a bit for responsive mode but to get started with it works.

Can you explain to me exactly how you did that? All my attempts only show me a map of Europe.

Here are a few screenshots of what I did.

1618236957946.webp

If i use the exemple adress: 3100 S Terminal Rd, Houston, TX 77032, Vereinigte Staaten

1618237017008.webp

What i make wrong?

Can you explain to me exactly how you did that? All my attempts only show me a map of Europe.

Here are a few screenshots of what I did.

View attachment 250128

If i use the exemple adress: 3100 S Terminal Rd, Houston, TX 77032, Vereinigte Staaten

View attachment 250129

What i make wrong?
Here's where I left it, still seems to be working....

1618245227095.webp

Here's what I get when I try the [map]3100 S Terminal Rd, Houston, TX 77032, Vereinigte Staaten[/map] address example....

1618245351200.webp

... the HTML replacement value:
Code:
<div align="center" style="margin: 5px 5px 5px 5px;">
<table class="tborder" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1" border="0" width="100%">
<tr>
<td class="thead" style="text-align:center">
<iframe 
width="100%" height="400" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" 
marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" 
src="https://maps.google.com/maps?f=q
&amp;source=s_q