Some admin templates missing after updating add-on

Jake B.

A client of ours updated one of our add-ons and he is now getting white pages in the AdminCP on the pages for this add-on. I checked and the admin templates still exist, and if I open each of them and resave them manually the page shows up as expected so it seems that for some reason the templates weren't compiled when he updated the add-on.

A couple things to keep note of:
  1. He's running XenForo 1.5.0
  2. He 'upgraded' the add-on to the same version (ie he was running 1.0.1 Patch 2 with version ID 10001702 and ran the upgrade script with the same version number and ID), and after this upgrade is when things broke
  3. He's tried to uninstall the add-on and reinstall it but still has the same issue
I'm really not sure where to go from here since template inserting and compilation is completely out of my hands.

Things to check:

Is it a rendering issue? e.g. if you view source is the content of the template there? Is it browser dependent?
What is the content of the compiled templates in the database? Is this what is expected? Are they missing?
Can the same issue be replicated on another board under the same conditions?

Is it a rendering issue? e.g. if you view source is the content of the template there?

Nope, it's not there
Is it browser dependent?

Happens on Chrome, Firefox, and Safari on Yosemite

What is the content of the compiled templates in the database?

I don't have access to his phpMyAdmin, so I threw this in one of the admin controllers and then removed it afterwords:

Code:
public function actionTest()
    {
        $db = XenForo_Application::getDb();

$query = $db->fetchOne('SELECT template_compiled FROM xf_admin_template_compiled WHERE title=\'addm_campaign_list\'');

var_dump($query);
    }

And it returned false, so I'm thinking it doesn't exist at all (tested the same code on a known working board and it returned the expected value)

Is this what is expected?

Definitely not expected

Are they missing?

I've checked, and the template exists (I can see it in the admin template list, and edit it) and if I go through and save the template it recompiles properly and everything displays

Can the same issue be replicated on another board under the same conditions?

We've had this happen on one of our employees' localhost test installs using xampp

If the templates exist, could you try rebuilding master data?

Go to the install page and click the relevant button.

Liam

If the templates exist, could you try rebuilding master data?

Go to the install page and click the relevant button.

Liam

Forgot to mention in the OP, we've done this a few times already with no luck unfortunately :\

Not specifically.

Obviously in a general sense it seems like the template isn't being compiled. I would expect exceptions to be thrown if compilation failed for whatever reason - I assume there's nothing in the Server Error Log? If you do the rebuild of master data with debug mode enabled, does it error?

Is there anything special about this template? Is it especially large? Complex? Calling any special tags or helpers, or callbacks? Is it included as a result of a template modification callback or anything like that?

When this was reproduced by an employee, did it happen with the same template?

Obviously in a general sense it seems like the template isn't being compiled. I would expect exceptions to be thrown if compilation failed for whatever reason - I assume there's nothing in the Server Error Log? If you do the rebuild of master data with debug mode enabled, does it error?

Nope, nothing :\

Is there anything special about this template? Is it especially large? Complex? Calling any special tags or helpers, or callbacks? Is it included as a result of a template modification callback or anything like that?

It's essentially a copy of addon_list (or any other template using the filterlist) with phrases and variables changed. Nothing really special. Though, it does this for every template in the add-on, not just a specific one.

When this was reproduced by an employee, did it happen with the same template?

Nope, was a different add-on entirely. But it breaks every admin template in whatever add-on you try to upgrade. And it's only seemed to happen when you run the upgrade script to the same version ID

My primary suspicion is there's an add-on that's doing something undesirable. It's totally unexpected and not something that should generally happen. I generally work across two PCs so I'm always "upgrading" with the same version XML file, and I've never seen this.

If you disable all other add-ons and rebuild master data does the problem persist?

My primary suspicion is there's an add-on that's doing something undesirable. It's totally unexpected and not something that should generally happen. I generally work across two PCs so I'm always "upgrading" with the same version XML file, and I've never seen this.

If you disable all other add-ons and rebuild master data does the problem persist?

He was able to fix it by doing this, however we've had this issue with nothing but a single add-on installed that does not mess with the template compilation process at all. It's also good to note that I found out this person is using XAMPP to host his live site, so it may have something to do with that as it's the only way I've ever replicated it is on Windows using XAMPP. Never had this issue on linux or OSX

Top Bottom