[Solved] Multiple installation

MrKavatch

Hello,
at the moment I am considering buying XenForo.
However, I don't know how the licenses and the related domains & installations work exactly.
Here's my situation: I have a forum running on a currently weaker server. Now I still want to install XenForo before I upgrade. But that means that I would install XenForo once on the current server and later possibly again on a new server. The Pre-Sale FAQ says: "Each license permits you to install the software once." does that mean that I have to buy a second license when I upgrade my server? Or even if I just want to reinstall XenForo?
Similar question about the domain. Once I have set myself to one domain, do I have to buy a second license if I change my domain?
Or do I understand everything only wrong and actually it should mean that I can only have one installation running at a time? No matter on which server or which domain.
Kind regards
Alexander

Just to repeat it.

You can change the domain whenever you want, just you are allowed to use the XF license on one domain only. If you want to run XF on 2 different domains at the same time, you have to buy 2 licenses.

But if you want to use your license on domain 1, and later decide to use it on domain 2, you can do that, IF you remove the installation from domain 1 AND pointing in your customer area to the new domain.

And if you want to upgrade your server, well, just move everything from server 1 to server 2, which means all old files on server 1 would be removed.

So one installation running at a time.

You can also have a single test installation for each license, quoted from Brogan:

5. How many installations can I make with a single license?
Each license permits you to install the software once. However, you may create a single additional test installation for testing purposes only. Any test installation of this kind must be password protected, and access to it must be limited to you and your website staff.

You can change the domain whenever you want, just you are allowed to use the XF license on one domain only. If you want to run XF on 2 different domains at the same time, you have to buy 2 licenses.
Okay, then I have another question.
For example, if I own the domain abc.com and xyz.com and redirect both to the exact same forum, so no other forum on the server or other an other community. Really exactly the same. Would that be allowed?
Same question also for sub domains for example forum.abc.com and community.abc.com which would lead to exactly the same forum.

Yes, you can do that. See:

6. Can multiple domains or subdomains be used with a single license?
Yes, as long as the domains or subdomains all resolve to the same installation, all of the content is available at every domain or subdomain, and there is no attempt to make them appear as separate installations.

I suggest you to read the FAQ:

https://xenforo.com/community/threads/pre-sales-faq.4951/

Okay, then I have another question.
For example, if I own the domain abc.com and xyz.com and redirect both to the exact same forum, so no other forum on the server or other an other community. Really exactly the same. Would that be allowed?
Same question also for sub domains for example forum.abc.com and community.abc.com which would lead to exactly the same forum.

Domain redirects should be fine. Just as long as the installation remains on a single domain.

Top Bottom