Add-on Solid Portal

MistyMeanor

I know there are some portal-like add ons out there. But none of them seem to meet my fancy. About 10 years ago when I had my exotic pets forum on vB... we had a really portal page. It super easy to use and fill it up with existing content from the forum. Could also add custom blocks easily that were text, html, graphics, etc. We also sold advertising back then (which is something I would like to get back in to -- running banners) and could have the banners rotate on the portal page.

What I liked about these is that they looked really professional with little work to be done, but also had the ability easily to customize it how I liked. We had *I believe* http://www.vbadvanced.com and I think it was the CMS portal. Now of course the "look" of it looks "dated"... but I think with all the talented developers here, someone could come up with a really nice and CLEAN portal, but that is robust, yet user friendly without any coding expertise or modifications to styles/phrases/templates, or anything on the users end.

If would even be willing to possibly PAY someone if they could come up with a REALLY nice one. You guys are SO above and beyond vB... you guys can do a NICE portal that blows your mind, I just know it! ;)

Now, I haven't looked in to any of the banner/advertisement add ons much. So can't comment too much on those, but in the future will need something that I can set how many rotations shown and base pricing of ads off of that... and something that could be included into a portal.

Whatever you are asking can only be developed by XF developers as a core/official add-on like RM. This is probably not going to happen anytime soon (I guess).
You can always install Wordpress and bridge it with XF (as many of us do).

Whatever you are asking can only be developed by XF developers as a core/official add-on like RM. This is probably not going to happen anytime soon (I guess).
Well that is fine, just wanted to put it out there. You never know whom you may come across that may like a challenge and has the skills to do it. This site has 40k members, so you NEVER know unless you ask ;) Interesting about wordpress. Anyone have a site I could see this has been done with?

I know there are some portal-like add ons out there. But none of them seem to meet my fancy. About 10 years ago when I had my exotic pets forum on vB... we had a really portal page. It super easy to use and fill it up with existing content from the forum. Could also add custom blocks easily that were text, html, graphics, etc. We also sold advertising back then (which is something I would like to get back in to -- running banners) and could have the banners rotate on the portal page.

What I liked about these is that they looked really professional with little work to be done, but also had the ability easily to customize it how I liked. We had *I believe* http://www.vbadvanced.com and I think it was the CMS portal. Now of course the "look" of it looks "dated"... but I think with all the talented developers here, someone could come up with a really nice and CLEAN portal, but that is robust, yet user friendly without any coding expertise or modifications to styles/phrases/templates, or anything on the users end.

If would even be willing to possibly PAY someone if they could come up with a REALLY nice one. You guys are SO above and beyond vB... you guys can do a NICE portal that blows your mind, I just know it! ;)

Now, I haven't looked in to any of the banner/advertisement add ons much. So can't comment too much on those, but in the future will need something that I can set how many rotations shown and base pricing of ads off of that... and something that could be included into a portal.

Are you talking about VB Advanced? http://www.vbadvanced.com/ That was a good portal solution in the early days. Also VBPortal was another good one but I think they are no longer around.

Yep, said that here :LOL::
We had *I believe* http://www.vbadvanced.com and I think it was the CMS portal. Now of course the "look" of it looks "dated"... but I think with all the talented developers here, someone could come up with a really nice and CLEAN portal, but that is robust, yet user friendly without any coding expertise or modifications to styles/phrases/templates, or anything on the users end.

Yes, back in the day... vBAdvanced was tha' bomb... lol! I think we had used vbPortal once as well. I believe vBAdvanced is still around, I may be wrong though. I just looked at their site, but of course that doesn't mean it's still supported. But I would love to have something with that IDEA behind it, but nice and clean keeping in style with XF clean and sleek.

what type of content do you want to display at your portal ?
I would like for latest discussions (only the ones viewable where applicable of course based on permissions) - Top threads - Calendar/Birthdays - A place for rotating banner (for the future), FAQ Pages Content, Top Posters, log on, Invites/referal info persons personal referral link, albums, place to put video, newsfeed... that sort of stuff.

BTW:
I would disadvise to use WordPress or a WordPress-bridge, etc.
It will give you more hassle than it's worth it.....

What she's asking for has already been made. You have only to apply yourself to get XenPorta and BDWidget working in tandem + with Route Filters, you've pretty much accomplished a portal at no cost at all. If she is not satisified with the UI of XenPorta or BDWidget then if I were her I would ask the developers to simplify it or request for a coder to do so for her. She doesn't have to wait for Kier and Mike to make a portal.

Just curious if you have looked at Xenporta. Didn't seem to be talked about much yet but you did recognize there are add ons out there. TBG uses vB Advanced on vB 4 and Xenporta is the only reason we have been able to come over here.

Unfortunately being one of Jaxel's free add-ons I think its lacking a little bit of the support needed and being one of MANY add-ons Jaxel has to update and maintain its lacking a little attention. But so far it seems to be the most direct replacement. I can write modules to do anything we ever would have on vBAdvanced. As for some of the simpler stuff there are some html modules included you can add things that don't need addition coding to function. That part is a little different in the way vBA handled adding html and template based modules but you get used to it.

Your probably going to need someone who understands basic Xenforo development and intermediate web development. I am still learning from vBulletin and will probably be busy for the next year. But I am sure there is some people out there that can build modules for Xenporta to make it a passable experience.

Top Bottom