Social Groups for XenForo 1.x [Deleted]

Snog,

This addon is being enjoyed by my members, and I am allowing my premium member group to create their own social groups.

An issue came up yesterday that demonstrated to me that either I do not have it setup properly, or a fix is needed.

I noticed that when a member makes a group forum, that permission masks are not applied and all usergroups are set for no (not set) permissions.

I tried to set permissions in the root group category node, but those perms do not translate through to the forum nodes.

I need to have a base set of permission mask setting apply to member created group forums. Especially admin and mod settings.

Any pointers on what I am missing?
The forum permissions for forums are only set for the Administative, Registered, and Unregistered/Not Logged In groups. Since every user is in the registered user group, that is the main one that controls if they can view the forum based on the selections made when the group is created.

After that, access to group forums are controlled on a user level, not a user group level. In other words, if the group is setup so only members can view thread content, then the user permissions for members are set for the members not a user group.

Moderators do not have access to the group forums for the simple reason it can be a security risk depending on what the groups are used for. IE: A moderator can be a member of a competitive social group where they should not have access to the group forums.

Group moderators are assigned on the group level by either the owner of the group or the admin of the site.

Last edited:
Where are these set if I can ask.

I am an admin forvexample, but I had to go in acp and change the permissions of a group forum just so I could go in the group forum and delete a post that violated out terms.

I shouldnt have to do that for every group forum should I?

Plus our smod needs full access, we arent worried about competetice smids in groups. But we do need to be able to do global moderation.

Is there a tic box or something that can be checked to allow global access?

Where are these set if I can ask.

I am an admin forvexample, but I had to go in acp and change the permissions of a group forum just so I could go in the group forum and delete a post that violated out terms.

I shouldnt have to do that for every group forum should I?

Plus our smod needs full access, we arent worried about competetice smids in groups. But we do need to be able to do global moderation.

Is there a tic box or something that can be checked to allow global access?
If you aren't the super admin for your site, you need to set the 'Admin Social Groups' permission in the Administrators permissions (ACP/Users/Administrators). That will give you access to all group forums.

As I said earlier, moderators not having access is intentional and requested by many other people. So, you can either have your supermods join the group and then assign them as a moderator in the group. Or, manually add them as moderators of the group forum.

EDIT: This is untested, but setting the super moderator user group permissions for the main group category should allow them access to the forums created in the sub-categories where the group forums are created.

Last edited:
Thanks, will give those a shot tonight.

And my error, I am a super admin.

And sorry bout the typos, was typing on my phone and in a hurry for work lol.

And edit to add, yes, I only want super mod access, not regular mod acces, for my super mods.

Thanks, will give those a shot tonight.

And my error, I am a super admin.

And sorry bout the typos, was typing on my phone and in a hurry for work lol.

And edit to add, yes, I only want super mod access, not regular mod acces, for my super mods.
Hmm... the super admin should have been allowed access automatically. I'll check into that tomorrow.

Reactions: CTS
I deleted the forum category for a group and now have some errors.
You chastised someone for not following the txt file...

I couldnt find if you helped this person
What do I have to do to fix the issue?

Last edited:
I deleted the forum category for a group and now have some errors.
You chastised someone for not following the txt file...

I couldnt find if you helped this person
What do I have to do to fix the issue?

Your right... I made some edits...
I just want a fix for the issue, without the drama
I neither chastised anyone, nor is there any drama. I quote the readme.txt file when I feel that there may be a need to point out that a step in configuring the system may have been missed.

If you deleted the category for the group:
1) Create a new category that the group will be in.
2) Uncheck "Group Members Go Directly to Group Forum" if it is checked in the add-on options.
3) From the main forum page, click on the Groups tab, then on List All Groups.
4) Locate the group that has the missing category and click on it
5) Click on 'Owner Tools' and then 'Edit Group'
6) Assign the group to the new category and save it
7) If you unchecked "Group Members Go Directly to Group Forum" in the add-on options, recheck it.

I neither chastised anyone, nor is there any drama. I quote the readme.txt file when I feel that there may be a need to point out that a step in configuring the system may have been missed.

If you deleted the category for the group:
1) Create a new category that the group will be in.
2) Uncheck "Group Members Go Directly to Group Forum" if it is checked in the add-on options.
3) From the main forum page, click on the Groups tab, then on List All Groups.
4) Locate the group that has the missing category and click on it
5) Click on 'Owner Tools' and then 'Edit Group'
6) Assign the group to the new category and save it
7) If you unchecked "Group Members Go Directly to Group Forum" in the add-on options, recheck it.
Greatly appreciated...

EDIT: This is untested, but setting the super moderator user group permissions for the main group category should allow them access to the forums created in the sub-categories where the group forums are created.
@Mark T this will not work.

I'll try to get an update out later this week with an option to bypass the group security system and allow access to the group forums for all super moderators.

Just curious. Did you also test out why as sadmin, overall access to all forums and group permissions didnt work for me?

Trying to recall, but it seems like everything was fine at install. I anly noticed the issue recently. And that is after one update of the groups addon.

Thanks again.

Just curious. Did you also test out why as sadmin, overall access to all forums and group permissions didnt work for me?

Trying to recall, but it seems like everything was fine at install. I anly noticed the issue recently. And that is after one update of the groups addon.

Thanks again.
Yes. In the last update, admins can now be excluded from viewing certain groups if they don't have permission to do so. This was instated because some sites have age restricted groups with admins that don't meet the age requirements. To do that, a general check if the user is an admin is done, so it applies to all admins (super or not).

Make sure your user group has the 'Can View Restricted Groups (requires View Groups)' permission checked. And that your administrator account has 'Admin Social Groups' checked.

I have one issue and one question/suggestion!

First: We seem to be unable to search "discussions". Search works for Group Name and the Group Info, but not for Group Discussions, and that's something important for site staff to be able to moderate groups effectively.

Second: The thing I love about using the Nodes for Categories is the potential to be able to set usergroup view permissions for those categories. But that doesn't seem to work, as all Categories still appear in the groups list even if viewing that node is denied. (And subsequently, people can also still join groups in those categories.) If this is not available right now, I would loooove to see it as a future feature! (The restricted groups feature doesn't seem to fullfill this need because I can't do multiple groups with different view settings.)

Thank you for the consideration!

I have one issue and one question/suggestion!

First: We seem to be unable to search "discussions". Search works for Group Name and the Group Info, but not for Group Discussions, and that's something important for site staff to be able to moderate groups effectively.

Second: The thing I love about using the Nodes for Categories is the potential to be able to set usergroup view permissions for those categories. But that doesn't seem to work, as all Categories still appear in the groups list even if viewing that node is denied. (And subsequently, people can also still join groups in those categories.) If this is not available right now, I would loooove to see it as a future feature! (The restricted groups feature doesn't seem to fullfill this need because I can't do multiple groups with different view settings.)

Thank you for the consideration!
You are correct. Discussions are not searchable. Discussions are like giant overgrown PCs and as such are not searchable. If you want people to be able to search a groups conversations, use group forums.

Groups will always show in the category unless the groups are marked as Private/Invitation only (Private/Hide Private). Otherwise people would have no way of knowing the group exists and new members couldn't join the group. If you mean to hide the category completely, I'll put that on the wish list.

Snog,

A member on my site created a group and originally had it set for invite only.

She reported to me that another member had requested joining that group, but inadvertantly she deleted that notice before approving.

She has now reset the owner group settings so that anyone can join without invite, but the member who wanted to join is still stuck in awaiting invite approval mode.

How can this be corrected so the member can join?

Snog,

A member on my site created a group and originally had it set for invite only.

She reported to me that another member had requested joining that group, but inadvertantly she deleted that notice before approving.

She has now reset the owner group settings so that anyone can join without invite, but the member who wanted to join is still stuck in awaiting invite approval mode.

How can this be corrected so the member can join?
She needs to enter the URL below, substituting the proper information for your site, group, group ID and user ID.
Code:
http://YOUR SITE NAME AND PATH/groups/THE GROUP NAME.THE GROUP ID/approvemember?user_id=THE USER ID

Is it possible to set, that new groups must be approved by a staff member, before they are public?

This addon stuffs up the breadcrumb on my site. I am using XenPorta and I get 2 Home links in the Breadcrumb and 2 Home Tabs in my Navbar. Disable the addon and everything is perfect

Top Bottom