Social Groups for XenForo 1.x [Deleted]

Is it possible to force groups to be open and not private? I'm thinking about adding this feature but it's not helpful to the community as a whole if people are going to take their would-be public conversations into private groups...

Is it possible to force groups to be open and not private? I'm thinking about adding this feature but it's not helpful to the community as a whole if people are going to take their would-be public conversations into private groups...
Groups can be open, private or invite only

Thank you. I'm pretty sure this means that as the admin, I cannot force groups to be open. Am I correct?
No you can't. The minimum permission a user has when creating a group is to either leave it as an open group or make it a private group.

The only thing you can do is remove a user's permission to create a "hidden/private" or "restricted" group. And force the group forum to be viewable by all members (if a private group they would need to be a approved to post in the group forum, but they would still be able to read posts).

You can also go in and remove the private status from the group by editing it once it's created if you wanted to.

No you can't. The minimum permission a user has when creating a group is to either leave it as an open group or make it a private group.

The only thing you can do is remove a user's permission to create a "hidden/private" or "restricted" group. And force the group forum to be viewable by all members (if a private group they would need to be a approved to post in the group forum, but they would still be able to read posts).

You can also go in and remove the private status from the group by editing it once it's created if you wanted to.
This sounds like it would accomplish my goal. So it's an option for me, the admin, to remove a user's permission to create a hidden/private/restricted group. Can I do this per user group or does it need to be done on a user by user basis.

My concern is having users create private groups for the simple fun of it (no real reason to be private) but having a lot of conversations that could be otherwise valuable to search rankings to gain more traffic...

This sounds like it would accomplish my goal. So it's an option for me, the admin, to remove a user's permission to create a hidden/private/restricted group. Can I do this per user group or does it need to be done on a user by user basis.

My concern is having users create private groups for the simple fun of it (no real reason to be private) but having a lot of conversations that could be otherwise valuable to search rankings to gain more traffic...
A "hidden/private" group is not the same as a "private" group.

A "hidden/private" (invite only) group requires a member to be invited to the group and accept the invitation to even know the group exists.

A "private" group allows members to know it exists, but depending on your add-on settings they either can or can't view threads in the group forum.

So, you can't stop them from creating a "private" group, but you can force a "private" group to have all of it's threads viewable. Then if someone wanted to post in the group forum, they would have to request membership in the group.

I have a group with 3 subforums. Two of them are set to Guest and one is set to public. But I found out today that they are hidden entirely from a handful of members. I checked and they had node-specific permissions on those subforums with view (and other ones) set to Never.

3660b069d95a58170d940813b4e66e45.png

None of these accounts are members of the group or were previously members of the group as far as I can tell (though they don't really remember). Do you know how this might have happened?

I have a group with 3 subforums. Two of them are set to Guest and one is set to public. But I found out today that they are hidden entirely from a handful of members. I checked and they had node-specific permissions on those subforums with view (and other ones) set to Never.

3660b069d95a58170d940813b4e66e45.png

None of these accounts are members of the group or were previously members of the group as far as I can tell (though they don't really remember). Do you know how this might have happened?
If the group itself is a group that requires people to be members of the group to view the group forum, the sub-forums are also hidden from view.

The only time a node is set to never permissions is when the group is a private/hidden group, a user is an admin and doesn't have permission to administrate groups (Admin Social Groups). That is only set on the user level, never on the full node.

Last edited:
Ok, so this particular group started out as a private/hidden group while it was being setup. And then I made it a public group. All of the people who have their permissions set to "Never" even with the public subforums were staff members at the time. So, I'm guessing their permissions were never updated when the group was changed from a private to a public group. I'll have to keep an eye out for that the next time I create a group like that.

Ok, so this particular group started out as a private/hidden group while it was being setup. And then I made it a public group. All of the people who have their permissions set to "Never" even with the public subforums were staff members at the time. So, I'm guessing their permissions were never updated when the group was changed from a private to a public group. I'll have to keep an eye out for that the next time I create a group like that.
Yes, please do keep an eye out for that. The admin permissions should have been set to 'Inherit' when you changed the group to a public group.

Hi I wanted to know, if I setup a website and have the forum "Group" using "Social Groups"

can a person create a new Group? and can I have it so that google adsense or other advertising banners can be displayed in all groups etc?

Thanks

Hi I wanted to know, if I setup a website and have the forum "Group" using "Social Groups"

can a person create a new Group? and can I have it so that google adsense or other advertising banners can be displayed in all groups etc?

Thanks
"Group" should not be a forum, it should be a category.

If "Group" is a category, then people can create new groups in that category if you allow it.

Ads are only displayed in group forums. There is no provision for ads in any other group display unless you put them there (customize the templates).

There is no provision for ads in any other group display unless you put them there (customize the templates).
Don't you think that it would be a good feature to have the option of - google adsense or other advertising banners being displayed in all groups upon creation of any new group.?

Thanks

Don't you think that it would be a good feature to have the option of - google adsense or other advertising banners being displayed in all groups upon creation of any new group.?

Thanks
If you wish to have ads in your groups, you are free to add them if you wish.

Top Bottom