Social Groups for XenForo 1.x [Deleted]

No, once created it can't be deleted.

The only way to do it would be to either delete and recreate the group, or to do a mass query with phpMyAdmin.
Can I prevent group discussion area's from being created? I need this duplicate function turned off site wide. It seems deprecated by group forum threads.

EDIT: I can disable it through setting group permission 'Can Create Group Discussion Area' for registered usergroup to NEVER.
its not pretty, but it works. :)

Last edited:
I can disable it through setting group permission 'Can Create Group Discussion Area' for registered usergroup to NEVER.
its not pretty, but it works.
Discussions are not threads. They are totally separate, not transferable or movable to threads and are somewhat limited in functionality. They can also carry a different permission (internally set by the way the group is set up) than the group forum uses.

For permissions I'm not sure what you mean by it's not pretty. That's exactly what user group permissions are for. And if you have to set it to 'never' for everyone to lose the ability to create discussion areas, then your other user groups must have the permission set to 'Allow' and that's the only way you can override the other permissions in mass.

Discussions are not threads. They are totally separate, not transferable or movable to threads and are somewhat limited in functionality. They can also carry a different permission (internally set by the way the group is set up) than the group forum uses.
Is there a clear benefit in using group discussions? To me it seems like these were deprecated when group threads were added, because group threads are visible in new posts and have all the same functionality forum threads have.
For permissions I'm not sure what you mean by it's not pretty.
I mean that it would be more elegant to just have a global off switch, just like we can globally force-enable group discussions for all groups.

Is there a clear benefit in using group discussions? To me it seems like these were deprecated when group threads were added, because group threads are visible in new posts and have all the same functionality forum threads have.
They have both been there since day 1. Discussions were requested by the original group driving the add-on's creation. They basically mirror the group posts in vB which were totally separate from threads.

Discussions are restricted in the sense that you can not upload files to them and they do not appear in the new post list. And only group members receive notices of discussion posts. You can think of them as giant private conversations if the group owner sets up discussions so non-members can't view them.

Error Info
ErrorException: mkdir(): Permission denied - library/Snog/SocialGroups/ControllerPublic/Index.php:1554
Generated By: Alfa, A moment ago

Stack Trace
#0 [internal function]: XenForo_Application::handlePhpError(2, 'mkdir(): Permis...', '/home/...', 1554, Array)
#1 /library/Snog/SocialGroups/ControllerPublic/Index.php(1554): mkdir('data/snogsocial...')
#2 /library/XenForo/FrontController.php(351): Snog_SocialGroups_ControllerPublic_Index->actionSaveGroup()
#3 /library/XenForo/FrontController.php(134): XenForo_FrontController->dispatch(Object(XenForo_RouteMatch))
#4 /index.php(13): XenForo_FrontController->run()
#5 {main}
Request State
array(3) {
["url"] => string(64) "https://site.com/index.php?groups/savegroup"
["_GET"] => array(1) {
["groups/savegroup"] => string(0) ""
}
["_POST"] => array(12) {
["name"] => string(13) "my test group"
["groupdescription_html"] => string(577) "<p></p><p>here is some random text. <br></p><p>here is some random text.</p><p>here is some random text. <br></p><p>here is some random text.</p><p>here is some random text. <br></p><p>here is some random text.</p><p>here is some random text. <br></p><p>here is some random text.</p><p>here is some random text. <br></p><p>here is some random text.</p><p>here is some random text. <br></p><p>here is some random text.</p><p>here is some random text. <br></p><p>here is some random text.</p><p>here is some random text. <br></p><p>here is some random text.</p><p><br></p><p></p>"
["_xfRelativeResolver"] => string(66) "https://site.com/index.php?groups/creategroup"
["shortdescription"] => string(26) "here isa short description"
["category_id"] => string(3) "512"
["hasforum"] => string(1) "1"
["hasalbum"] => string(1) "1"
["owner_id"] => string(1) "1"
["_xfToken"] => string(8) "********"
["_xfRequestUri"] => string(38) "/test3-xf/index.php?groups/creategroup"
["_xfNoRedirect"] => string(1) "1"
["_xfResponseType"] => string(4) "json"
}
}

Error Info
ErrorException: mkdir(): Permission denied - library/Snog/SocialGroups/ControllerPublic/Index.php:1554
Generated By: Alfa, A moment ago

Stack Trace
#0 [internal function]: XenForo_Application::handlePhpError(2, 'mkdir(): Permis...', '/home/...', 1554, Array)
#1 /library/Snog/SocialGroups/ControllerPublic/Index.php(1554): mkdir('data/snogsocial...')
#2 /library/XenForo/FrontController.php(351): Snog_SocialGroups_ControllerPublic_Index->actionSaveGroup()
#3 /library/XenForo/FrontController.php(134): XenForo_FrontController->dispatch(Object(XenForo_RouteMatch))
#4 /index.php(13): XenForo_FrontController->run()
#5 {main}
Request State
array(3) {
["url"] => string(64) "https://site.com/index.php?groups/savegroup"
["_GET"] => array(1) {
["groups/savegroup"] => string(0) ""
}
["_POST"] => array(12) {
["name"] => string(13) "my test group"
["groupdescription_html"] => string(577) "<p></p><p>here is some random text. <br></p><p>here is some random text.</p><p>here is some random text. <br></p><p>here is some random text.</p><p>here is some random text. <br></p><p>here is some random text.</p><p>here is some random text. <br></p><p>here is some random text.</p><p>here is some random text. <br></p><p>here is some random text.</p><p>here is some random text. <br></p><p>here is some random text.</p><p>here is some random text. <br></p><p>here is some random text.</p><p>here is some random text. <br></p><p>here is some random text.</p><p><br></p><p></p>"
["_xfRelativeResolver"] => string(66) "https://site.com/index.php?groups/creategroup"
["shortdescription"] => string(26) "here isa short description"
["category_id"] => string(3) "512"
["hasforum"] => string(1) "1"
["hasalbum"] => string(1) "1"
["owner_id"] => string(1) "1"
["_xfToken"] => string(8) "********"
["_xfRequestUri"] => string(38) "/test3-xf/index.php?groups/creategroup"
["_xfNoRedirect"] => string(1) "1"
["_xfResponseType"] => string(4) "json"
}
}
From the installation instructions in the README.txt file:
1) Upload all of the files contained in the 'upload' folder to your forum directory.
Change the permissions for these folders to world writeable (777)..

data/snogsocialgroups
data/snogsocialgroups/CategoryBanners
data/snogsocialgroups/CategoryIcons
data/snogsocialgroups/GroupAvatars
data/snogsocialgroups/GroupBanners
data/snogsocialgroups/Photos

Also the data folder itself should be world writeable per the XF installation instructions:
https://xenforo.com/help/installation/

Sorry about that.

I am encountering these issues:
  1. I get alerts to notify about myself: 'alfa1 has created a new group'
  2. After saving a banner, the group has an empty breadcrumb entry. /bannersave
  3. After uploading a group banner, the banner doesn't display. Probably because it does not meet the exact size requirements. There is no error message.
  4. After uploading a group avatar, the avatar doesn't display. Probably because it does not meet the exact size requirements. There is no error message.
  5. After doing the above, the group is no longer visible on group home. After trying again with a different image, its back again.
Questions:
  1. Is there a way to add multiple forums to a group?
  2. Should new groups come up in recent activity?

Last edited:
Bug: I get alerts to notify about myself: 'alfa1 has created a new group'
Technically it's not a bug. After a group is created all admins are notified. So, if you're an admin you would get a notification. I'll put this on the list of things to eliminate.
After creating a group, the group has an empty breadcrumb entry.
After uploading a group banner, the banner doesn't display. Probably because it does not meet the exact size requirements. There is no error message.
After uploading a group avatar, the avatar doesn't display. Probably because it does not meet the exact size requirements. There is no error message.
After doing the above, then group is no longer visible on group home.
These are all related to the add-on option settings. It's hard to establish which ones without being able to see how you have them set.
Is there a way to add multiple forums to a group?
Yes. Set the "Sub-forum Creation Limit" in the add-on options. And add them from the Owner Tools in the group after it's been created. Also be sure you have "Can Create Group Subforum" set to Allow in your user group permissions.

EDIT: Also since you're an admin, check to be sure your admin account has the "Admin Social Groups" permission checked in admin->Users->Administrators

Last edited:
Yes. Set the "Sub-forum Creation Limit" in the add-on options. And add them from the Owner Tools in the group after it's been created. Also be sure you have "Can Create Group Subforum" set to Allow in your user group permissions.
Thats pretty neat!
I think you may have missed these:
  1. After saving a banner, the group has an empty breadcrumb entry. /bannersave
  1. Should new groups come up in recent activity?

Also, are you using the standard XF permission set where all users are "Registered" users, including Administrators?

Thats pretty neat!
I think you may have missed these:
  1. After saving a banner, the group has an empty breadcrumb entry. /bannersave
  1. Should new groups come up in recent activity?
The empty breadcrumb could be because you didn't select a category for the group, but have categories available to be selected. Without seeing the settings it's hard to say.

No, new groups do not show in recent activity unless you set up the "Post New Group Notice" in the add-on options.

No, new groups do not show in recent activity unless you set up the "Post New Group Notice" in the add-on options.
Please add a newsfeed handler for social groups. Its basic standard behavior to get user actions into recent activity. Any user action in xenforo as well as its addons has a newsfeed handler. I know your focus is on XF2, but I hope that you will add such a basic feature.

Please add a newsfeed handler for social groups. Its basic standard behavior to get user actions into recent activity. Any user action in xenforo as well as its addons has a newsfeed handler. I know your focus is on XF2, but I hope that you will add such a basic feature.
It is already on the wish list for the add-on. But in the meantime the work around is what I posted.

Top Bottom