Social Groups for XenForo 1.x [Deleted]

Awesome software. However, we get overflown by un-maintained groups: http://www.beamng.com/groups/?direction=asc . Could we get some useful features like:
  • Sorting groups by activity instead by name: By name is more like when you search for something. The main group discovery page should be focusing the groups that are most active though i guess?
  • Hide Groups on the index page that did not provide a banner (to hide all these awful looking groups in the list?)
  • Deprecating / deleting groups (with warning the creator beforehand) that did not get any activity/post for some months?
Sorting can already be done by several different methods using the Group Display Options..
sorts.webp

Hiding groups without a banner is a bad idea. Nobody would ever be able to access them if they were hidden.

Deleting groups is intentionally a manual process to prevent malicious or accidental deletion of potentially valuable information in a group. That could very well include an inactive group.

We got our old vbulletin groups imported and so far so good. I am wondering if anyone has created additional addons for the social groups system. My wish list:
  • A main groups page that is more like a 'portal', showing categories with collapsible groups list under categories, groups with latest activity, latest groups, latest groups discussions, latest group photos. A single page that shows a wealth of groups activity
  • option to convert a group discussion area into a forum
  • discussion area posts show in xenforo "New Posts", or at the least they show as a tab option on xenforo's New Posts page
  • event calendar
  • send mass PC to your entire group
Hope to see this add on evolve :) cheers

Last edited:
The last 4 are already on the wish list for the group system.

The event calendar was actually started at one point until I saw this one by @Jeremy
https://xenforo.com/community/resources/fs-events.4338/

I aborted my version because it used the exact same base code and gave what I had already done to Jeremy. It made no sense to have two add-ons with virtually the exact same capabilities. Whether he used any of my code or not, I don't know.

Hi All, I would like to propose a social groups main page full of useful info and would boost groups activity levels. I would like to try to crowd fund this and hopefully Snog will take on the job asap. I will put $100 USD towards this page, if anyone else is interested in chipping in I guess Snog can field the requests. Here is my proposed layout for the new groups home page, some may want to change or improve it:

groups-proposal.webp

While I will put this on the wish list for the add-on, I do not accept crowd funding at all. If it happens, it will happen for everyone regardless of funding.

While I will put this on the wish list for the add-on, I do not accept crowd funding at all. If it happens, it will happen for everyone regardless of funding.
Thanks Snog,t hat's cool. Are we talking a few weeks, few months time frame? I am close to paying to have this custom coded as I need it asap.

There is no time frame for wish list items. I work on my add-ons when there is a sufficient of time and amount of work to justify an update and even then, not all items make it into that release. I also need to evaluate all aspects of an addition/change. There are some very large sites using this add-on and I can't do anything that will be detrimental to a big board's performance.

Last edited:
There is no time frame for wish list items. I work on my add-ons when there is a sufficient of time and amount of work to justify an update and even then, not all items make it into that release. I also need to evaluate all aspects of an addition/change. There are some very large sites using this add-on and I can't do anything that will be detrimental to a big board's performance.
Fair enough, thanks for the reply.

Hi, my members are asking me how to delete their own groups photos and see no options for this? Thanks for any tips..

Hi, my members are asking me how to delete their own groups photos and see no options for this? Thanks for any tips..

There isn't an option for group members to delete their own photos at the moment.

I did request this some time last year and I believe it's on the wishlist.

There isn't an option for group members to delete their own photos at the moment.

I did request this some time last year and I believe it's on the wishlist.
Yes, it is on the wish list and will most likely be in the next release, which I am working on now.

It will be an option for admins to allow it.

It will be an option for admins to allow it.

Ooooo, sorry to be a pain, I thought I'd get in real quick if it's not done already. Could it be a group owner option please? So that on the group create/edit page, it have something like:

"Allow members to upload/edit/delete their own photos"

Also have it so it can be checked/unchecked so that group owners can change their mind on the setting. I think it will make groups more flexible and it will allow group owners to create groups where they and their mods are the only ones that have permission to upload photos.

For example, someone might create a business group where they want to share business event photos/advertising images, flyers, etc, but they don't want group members to be uploading random photos that distract from these images, etc. Likewise, as a member of a certain group, I might to join and want to follow the group photos without being distracted by random photos uploaded by other members of the group. This is just a simple case use, but hopefully it helps explain the usefulness if it were to be added as a group owner option.

Thank you for reading :)

Hopefully option to delete photos is out soon, I keep getting pinged by many asking me how they do this. I'll have to put a notice on the groups photo pages directing my members to loga helpdesk ticket if they need a group photo deleted.

Hopefully option to delete photos is out soon, I keep getting pinged by many asking me how they do this. I'll have to put a notice on the groups photo pages directing my members to loga helpdesk ticket if they need a group photo deleted.
It may be as long as 3 to 4 weeks. It all depends on how testing of the new release goes.

I found a huge bug:

When this addon is disabled all registrations fail with the following error:

A server error has occurred. Please try again later

The server error logs show this:

Zend_Db_Statement_Mysqli_Exception: Mysqli statement execute error : Field 'socialgroups' doesn't have a default value - library/Zend/Db/Statement/Mysqli.php:214

Top Bottom