So I went back to Firefox 4

Sadik B

Yeah nothing important... just that the whole "accelerated release policy" is a pile of **it and I have had more firefox crashes since I made the ill-fated decision to upgrade from FF 4 to the latest version than all the crashes combined in my several years of FF usage.

I would use Chrome but then I need Firebug and can't keep switching browsers and we all know what Chrome's built in developer tool is like. So downloaded FF 4.0.1 from Firefox release directory downgraded Firebug to 1.7.3 and life is cool again! :)

Agree completely. I'm in the 11.00 beta channel not much has changed. Replaced almost all the addons that I've been using and browsing more frequently with Chrome now.

Yeah nothing important... just that the whole "accelerated release policy" is a pile of **it and I have had more firefox crashes since I made the ill-fated decision to upgrade from FF 4 to the latest version than all the crashes combined in my several years of FF usage.

Yes!!

I don't get it. Every couple of weeks, there's a new/better/more awesome update to install... go through that crap on all of my machines (five or six of them... plus a cpl of vms?), waiting for the update, checking for updated add-ons, etc. And then it still freezes and crashes constantly.

I could care less about its memory use or how many fractions of a second faster it is than Chrome. I just want it to *not crash*. I haven't tried waterfox yet... but it'll be that, or roll back to a previous version.

Edit: I checked out the waterfox release schedule. It looks like they're locked to the FF release schedule, so it still has the problem of wanting to install an update every few weeks. FTS.

I have rolled back to 4 and I am definitely not upgrading anymore. This was getting beyond ridiculous. I even ticked the send crash report to Mozilla for a few days hoping that would help...

Yes!!

I don't get it. Every couple of weeks, there's a new/better/more awesome update to install... go through that crap on all of my machines (five or six of them... plus a cpl of vms?), waiting for the update, checking for updated add-ons, etc. And then it still freezes and crashes constantly.

I could care less about its memory use or how many fractions of a second faster it is than Chrome. I just want it to *not crash*. I haven't tried waterfox yet... but it'll be that, or roll back to a previous version.

Edit: I checked out the waterfox release schedule. It looks like they're locked to the FF release schedule, so it still has the problem of wanting to install an update every few weeks. FTS.

Waterfox technically doesn't follow the exact release schedule. They get released a little later to improve / fix the "flaws" in normal Firefox and so that once they do update, all your add-ons have had time to release their own updates, so there are no issues.

Waterfox is also more stable. I've not had it ever crash on me.

Chrome seems to be quicker and lighter for me - on macs.

But while we are talking FF4, I also went back to it - but for another reason. Some of the ad management software I use on my server - the form submission buttons do not work with anything after that! Not with safari or chrome either. I suspect this is some old code since the SW was written in perl about 13 years ago and never upgraded since.

If anyone has a hint as to why submit buttons stop working in newer browsers, let me know...I may be able to find the perl code that creates those pages and fix it. As it stands now I have to use FF4 to make it work.

The only thing Firefox is good for is checking to see if code looks right. Other than that, I see no reason to use anything other than Chrome as my main browser.

The whole release cycle really back fired on Firefox. Chrome do it right because they release minor versions. When Chrome does update, you rarely even notice it.

The only thing Firefox is good for is checking to see if code looks right. Other than that, I see no reason to use anything other than Chrome as my main browser.

The whole release cycle really back fired on Firefox. Chrome do it right because they release minor versions. When Chrome does update, you rarely even notice it.
I wasn't even aware I was on the most up to date version of Chrome when I checked it yesterday.

I stopped using Firefox years ago due to poor performance (Made even worse by add-ons). I'd use Chrome, I just don't like how windows are all a different process, and the way the tabs act by default. Theres a few other things that I dislike, but I use it occasionally.

I've been using Chrome for just about everything no matter the platform I'm on of late. And honestly if there's something I used to do in firebug that I can't do in the developers tool in chrome now I don't remember what it is :P

I can watch ajax requests change code/css as a test, look at network load times. It really doesn't matter to me.

Waterfox technically doesn't follow the exact release schedule. They get released a little later to improve / fix the "flaws" in normal Firefox and so that once they do update, all your add-ons have had time to release their own updates, so there are no issues.

Waterfox is also more stable. I've not had it ever crash on me.

Which is fine. But I don't *want* to have to update it every couple of weeks. I've got enough crap to worry about without waiting for my browser to install updates all the time. If it's going to update, it needs to do it in the background. I should never know about it.

I mean.... yeah, I remember back in the day everybody would say, "Oh, don't go installing those Windoze updates automatically! You've got to look in there and see what they're doing, pick which ones YOU want to install." I get that. I see where that idea comes from. But ... screw that. I just want it to work, and I don't want to spend any of my own time making sure it does work when I need it to.

Which is fine. But I don't *want* to have to update it every couple of weeks. I've got enough crap to worry about without waiting for my browser to install updates all the time. If it's going to update, it needs to do it in the background. I should never know about it.

I mean.... yeah, I remember back in the day everybody would say, "Oh, don't go installing those Windoze updates automatically! You've got to look in there and see what they're doing, pick which ones YOU want to install." I get that. I see where that idea comes from. But ... screw that. I just want it to work, and I don't want to spend any of my own time making sure it does work when I need it to.

Both Firefox and WaterFox will be adding automatic updates in version 12 (if I recall correctly).... It maybe pushed sooner though as this is a common issue of concern.

I wasn't even aware I was on the most up to date version of Chrome when I checked it yesterday.

I stopped using Firefox years ago due to poor performance (Made even worse by add-ons). I'd use Chrome, I just don't like how windows are all a different process, and the way the tabs act by default. Theres a few other things that I dislike, but I use it occasionally.
I agree with Forsaken, I don't like how Chrome treats every tab as a separate process.
This is actually one of the better feature chrome has to offer. When Flash decides to crash, it uses 100% CPU load and on single-task-browsers the whole browser becomes unusable. With Chrome, you can at least continue surfing using other tabs.

I don't like how Chrome sometimes disables JS and begins not to load everything. A Chrome-restart is needed to fix that. And I like Gecko a lot more than WebKit. (And no, Gecko is not the origin of Firefox's problems)

And it renders fonts kinda ugly, compared to Safari and Firefox.

(This post is based on my experience on a Mac.)

Safari/Chrome/Chromium crash by far more times than any Firefox version I have ever used on my favourite operating systems.

I currently have 55 tabs opened in Firefox (dribbble.com pages + other stuff with adbloacker disabled), something that consumes just 580-670M out of my 8GB RAM Memory.

Top Bottom