SMTP Service / Improve email delivery rates

Scandal

Do you have in mind any way to improve email delivery rates for a xenForo 2 board? I mean: maybe to use SMTP / external email service instead of the integreated php emailer?

Do you have to suggest any relevant service ++ instructions? :)

Solution
Since I have you available here: could you let me know what's the cost for it?
Is there somewhere any instructions article about how to get the SMTP info and to apply correctly on xF admin panel? :)
10 cents per 1K emails sent.

I did a search just now and found this guide:
I've been really happy with Amazon SES so far. Cheap too.
Is there somewhere any instructions article about how to get the SMTP info and to apply correctly on xF admin panel? :)

Solution

M@rc thanks for the information. I already installed amazon SES based on the excellent guide you quoted, and it seems that it is going very good!

I have only one question, in case you know.
Could you provide me information about how to control the bounces?

Do I have to enter - somewhere on the amazon ses panel - an e-mail address so I can receive bounce alerts? Then what I should do, maybe to remove member's email address via my xf admin panel? :)

The amazon panel is very complicated for me.

Thanks!

Well, I was pleased with Amazon AWS but after a technical problem on their service I stopped use it.
The problem was this: for some reason, for a few hours their service marked lots of e-mail addresses as bounced (the email was never delivered). That causes the issue to move those email addresses to suppression list and I wasn't able to edit that list to remove the false emails.

This has the result lots of my active members to not be able to receive emails from my platform and I was received lots of service notifications that the emails was not sent.

I couldn't open a ticket on support because my account wasn't so premium.

I closed my Amazon account and I'm looking for alternative solution. Do you have one? :)

Well, I was pleased with Amazon AWS but after a technical problem on their service I stopped use it.
The problem was this: for some reason, for a few hours their service marked lots of e-mail addresses as bounced (the email was never delivered). That causes the issue to move those email addresses to suppression list and I wasn't able to edit that list to remove the false emails.

This has the result lots of my active members to not be able to receive emails from my platform and I was received lots of service notifications that the emails was not sent.

I couldn't open a ticket on support because my account wasn't so premium.

I closed my Amazon account and I'm looking for alternative solution. Do you have one? :)

I use AWS SES, but before migrating I paid a email-marketing vendor to verify my XF user's email addresses. One can do a dump of just the email addresses (no other info) and send it to them with payment on a pay-as-you go subscription:

It wasn't much and they sent me their actual results, so that I could decide what to do on my own. I also use the "Spaminator" addon to block automated registrations (that would also contain invalid email addresses). Today, I'll see SES report less than 10 bounced emails per month.

It does help to setup that DMARC/DNS stuff, but I'm not an authority on it. I love learning/managing many things, but email is one of those things I'm not built to deal with ;)

Top Bottom