XF 2.2 SMTP problem

Lucandi

The forum cannot send verification emails to new members. I can see this error,

• Swift_TransportException: Email to mem@xxxxx.rg from mem@xxxxx.rg
  • failed: Connection could not be established with host mem@xxxxx.rg
  • :stream_socket_client(): php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo for mem@xxxxx.rg
  • failed: Name or service not known Log data: ++ Starting XF\Mail\SmtpTransport !! Connection could not be established with host mem@xxxxx.rg
  • :stream_socket_client(): php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo for mem@xxxxxrg failed: Name or service not known (code: 0)
  • src/vendor/swiftmailer/swiftmailer/lib/classes/Swift/Plugins/LoggerPlugin.php:124

Checked and can't find anything wrong
Your error you show clearly shows this
Code:
failed: Connection could not be established with host mem@xxxxx.rg
:stream_socket_client(): php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo for mem@xxxxx.rg
failed: Name or service not known Log data: ++ Starting XF\Mail\SmtpTransport !! Connection could not be established with host mem@xxxxx.rg
:stream_socket_client(): php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo for mem@xxxxxrg failed: Name or service not known (code: 0)
I promise you that your SMTP host is not mem@xxxxx.rg
Depending on who/what i hosting your email, that might be xxxxx.rg or smtp.xxxxx.rg or whatever host you are utilizing, like mine is with Amazon SES - email-smtp.us-east-1.amazonaws.com.

Your error you show clearly shows this
Code:
failed: Connection could not be established with host mem@xxxxx.rg
:stream_socket_client(): php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo for mem@xxxxx.rg
failed: Name or service not known Log data: ++ Starting XF\Mail\SmtpTransport !! Connection could not be established with host mem@xxxxx.rg
:stream_socket_client(): php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo for mem@xxxxxrg failed: Name or service not known (code: 0)
I promise you that your SMTP host is not mem@xxxxx.rg
Depending on who/what i hosting your email, that might be xxxxx.rg or smtp.xxxxx.rg or whatever host you are utilizing, like mine is with Amazon SES - email-smtp.us-east-1.amazonaws.com.

That's what I did myself so that things I want to keep secret won't be seen.
Then a suggestion... don't don't do that by using an email address... simply use something like XXXX.YYY in the future... that way it shows that you used a correctly formatted domain and someone doesn't spend a lot of time trying to troubleshoot what is not an issue. ;)

Do you know of any service that offers smtp?

As I said, for transactional I use Amazon SES. I also have a ZoHo account that I have set up for use with bounced and unsubscribe emails (it's a grandfathered free one that I have the ability for SMTP/POP/IMAP with for 5 accounts), the new free accounts don't offer that).

You can get a VPS and install mailcow-dockerized or mail-in-a-box on it and use that, but depending on your VPS IP they may not get delivered everywhere, and it's a little more complicated also due to DNS entries needed.

Another option may be MailerSend for the transactional emails. They offer 12K a month on their free tier, but again, you don't have the ability to set up the bounce/unsubscribe accounts with them for free.

You could possibly use the free Google email (Gmail) but you are limited on the per day number of emails you can send on the free tier, the free tier will also not show as coming from your domain but a Gmail address, and there may be issues using the XF interface in the near future with GMail as they are setting up processes to restrict it. You can also get their paid email account for around $6 a month per account (if using bounced/unsubscribe you are looking at around $20 a month), and you CAN set that up to use your domain name.

As for a shared hosting provider that does reliable SMTP services... don't know of any personally as I haven't been on shared hosting in over a decade. I'll have to leave that to others to recommend to you that may use, or have used recently, shared hosting providers.

Top Bottom