1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SMTP or sendmail?

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by Razasharp, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Razasharp

Razasharp Well-Known Member

Are there any advantages or disadvantages for using either for Xenforo sending emails? (both from the same server)

Which do you use, and any specific reason why?

2. Rigel Kentaurus

Rigel Kentaurus Well-Known Member

I moved to SMTP, because, for high volume, sendmail actually causes high server load. For a few emails here and there it is not a problem, but when it moves to dozens, then a top on the server was always revealing sendmail hogging up the CPU

Razasharp likes this.
  3. Razasharp

Was that SMTP on the same server Rigel?

This SO answer seems to suggest the opposite :?

4. Rigel Kentaurus

The SMTP was in an external server. That is usually the case, so it is more of an architecture thing of separating concerns rather than performance of smtp vs. sendmail

5. Razasharp

Ah right.

Yeah I think people usually use an external service for SMTP - I might look at mandrill at some point.

No pros or cons regarding being accepted by ISPs? Are they more likely to see emails sent by scripts as spam? That was my main concern.

6. Rigel Kentaurus

Razasharp likes this.
  7. dvsDave

dvsDave Well-Known Member

As long as you have SPF and DKIM records properly setup in your domain CNAME records, you'll be fine. I really like mandrillapp.com combined with bd.mails.

Now, as to why on earth this subject has come up three times this week, I'll never know!

Razasharp likes this.
  8. Razasharp

Thanks Rigel - check-auth@verifier.port25.com is a nice tool!

Reminded me to install DKIM

Thanks - yours and Rigel's post reminded me to install DKIM :)

I like bd.mails too - would be nice if it worked with your own pop/smtp accounts too :)

9. dvsDave

dvsDave Well-Known Member

The power of mandrillapp is the bounce detection and API to feed that info back to the forum, most other SMTP systems don't have that sort of power. However, because you can setup sending domains and tracking sub-domains, it's really easy make the emails appear as they are coming from your own site and system.