SMF to XenForo

Status
Not open for further replies.

qureshi007

Dear sir I have a website where I am using SMF forum but now I want to change smf and use xenforo for forum but I have a problem that I have my previous posts on smf whom I do to want to waste you can see my old data and posts at my site http://www.achisite.com/ so is there any method available for migration of smf forum to xenforo and is there any discount coupon available ?

To save money (from buying software licenses) your best bet would be to go from: SMF2 -> PHPBB 3.x -> XenForo

PHPBB is a free software with importers from SMF2 & XenForo has a PHPBB importer built into the software.

To save money (from buying software licenses) your best bet would be to go from: SMF2 -> PHPBB 3.x -> XenForo

PHPBB is a free software with importers from SMF2 & XenForo has a PHPBB importer built into the software.
Have you tried such converstion? I did it but got problem with passwords.
I can loging to phpbb after migration from SMF to PHPBB with my old smf password. But I cannot login to xenforo with the same pasword after migration from PHPBB too Xenforo.

If passwords don't work after a double import then it is possible to save them. It requires having access to all 3 databases to create an id map for the users. Then a query can be constructed to write the password information to the XF database. Then you need to create a custom auth class to properly read the password information.

If passwords don't work after a double import then it is possible to save them. It requires having access to all 3 databases to create an id map for the users. Then a query can be constructed to write the password information to the XF database. Then you need to create a custom auth class to properly read the password information.
Thanks for clarification.
I made several attempts of migration. After one of attempts I noticed that I could login with current SMF password. I don't know what I did but it worked. Then I decided to repeat migration again and all other attempts have problems with passwords. Then I decided to ask more experienced people :)

Are there any plans to make a converter from SMF to XF? The method mentioned above may be ok for one of 2 conversions but would be tedious for more than that. For instance I have 20 SMF forums I'm thinking of converting to something else but I'm hesitant due to the enormity of this endevour.

I agree, there should be some type of SMF converter available officially for XenForo. It seems as days go by I keep finding more and more SMF sites looking to migrate to XenForo without the ability of doing so forking lots of money for manual conversions or going through hoops and loops with double conversions.

Well, they just recently released a MyBB converter, so I'd say there's a good chance we'll see one for SMF in the not too distant future. If the goal is to make it easier and therefore more attractive for users of other platforms to convert to Xenforo then it makes sense. I don't have any hard data to back it up, but based on the fact that SMF has been around longer and has a much bigger community than MyBB it seems likely to me that more people use it than use MyBB - or at least just as many. So if they thought it was worth it to make a converter for MyBB, it seems reasonable to assume they'll at least give serious consideration to doing the same for SMF.

Last edited:
Well that is good news to hear :) I'm sure with all the drama that has been going on there are many looking for an alternative platform. With many of the key devs having left to work on their own forks there is very few experienced people left. and some are making better progress than SMF devs so hopefully there will be alternatives there also.
I think the key to switching from a free platform to a pay one is the dedication and job requirement that goes into making sure your paid customers are listened to and they get what they pay for. With a free platform lack of performance and quality falls with volunteers who constantly use that as an excuse for not getting things done in a timely productive manner.
SO yeah a converter for SMF I think will be a great opportunity for many to take the leap from free you get what you get to paid quality.

Just wanted to add a few things (speaking as someone with SMF experience)

1. A converter would be great, though I'm not migrating any of my specific SMF installations to XF, so I have no reason to actually write one, nor really the time to do so. Yay for volunteering time. I'm fairly sure that if you paid the SMF devs to work on it full time (like XenForo, IPB, et al), development would be significantly faster, just as I'm sure if someone was paid to contribute a converter, it would happen fairly quickly.

2. Interesting point of note: there actually don't seem to be as many people wanting to leave SMF as wanting to leave MyBB from what I've seen. But maybe my figures are a bit skewed.

3. To correct one point: 'many of the key devs left to work on their own forks' is somewhat incorrect. Only three of the total history of SMF developers left to work on forks, four if you count 'consulting developers'.

2. Perhaps your figures are a bit skewed. In researching an alternative and visiting most if not all forum platform sites I have noticed many (as in more than plural) SMF users also looking for an alternative forum software. You have and with your coding skills which many don't have, have created your own alternative. And if what I've read can be believed many (as in more than plural) SMF users will jump ship for your alternative when it is ready for release.

3. Your correction is somewhat incorrect. Many (as in more than plural) key dev's have left which you confirmed above.

Many alternative platforms offer simple conversions and after reviewing those I'm hoping Xenforo puts one out because personally I'd be more inclined to choose this over the others for many reasons.

As suggested above I could do the platform shuffle but I'm sure I'd screw something up in the process so best to wait I think. Or like you suggested pay someone to code a conversion.

@Waindigo I thought I had read that somewhere a week or so ago but no problem. I tried a test of a phpbb but it didn't do a good job converting smf to phpbb. It missed all the avatars. The main things, messages and user accounts appear to have survived so that was a good thing.
Thanks anyway, I'll keep looking around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom