SLRuser.com Photography forum

Luke B

Hello all,

I just realized I never posted my forum for critique :)

Its a photography community aimed but not limited to SLR camera users. My goal is to keep things as clean and simple as possible. I got slammed with work so I haven't been able to do any updates for a while but now I can get back to it.

slruser.com

Thank you for your input.

Luke

Clean and simple like you said. I like what you did with the forum list and the header logo. I think you are using an earlier version of the useralbum add-on though. You might wanna update that to make use of the cool new highslide features. Only objection I would have are the breadcrumbs. It doesn't feel like they suit in the borderless rest of the site.

5f2a7f.png

Please ignore the unnecessary arrows :D Good work (y)

Laztrix nailed what caught my eyes as well, the breadcrumb design just doesn't quite fit. The rest of it is fabulous. Maybe you could do something similar to your forum/category headers for the breadcrumb. A colored square and then a nice clear version of the word a bit larger than the standard breadcrumb.

Overall great design though.

Clean and simple like you said. I like what you did with the forum list and the header logo. I think you are using an earlier version of the useralbum add-on though. You might wanna update that to make use of the cool new highslide features. Only objection I would have are the breadcrumbs. It doesn't feel like they suit in the borderless rest of the site.

Please ignore the unnecessary arrows :D Good work (y)

Thank you much for the input laztrix! I'm working with the new album update right now. I'm making some pretty big changes to it to fit my vision.
I went back and fourth regarding the bread crumbs. I removed the frame once but the big white space on the right was pretty bad. I think what I'm going to try to do is remove it from the home page all together. People usually know when they are on the home page anyways. Then I would remove the frame and do some cool colored blocks for the rest of the pages a bit like bambua suggested.

Laztrix nailed what caught my eyes as well, the breadcrumb design just doesn't quite fit. The rest of it is fabulous. Maybe you could do something similar to your forum/category headers for the breadcrumb. A colored square and then a nice clear version of the word a bit larger than the standard breadcrumb.

Overall great design though.

I was thinking of starting a photography forum with XF but apparently you beat me to it :D

Amazing work, the skin is really cool, loved it!

Nice work Luke! Is that how the "user albums" displays on the forum home page normally or did you do some tweaking? If so, can you share what you have done to get it like that?

I'm sure I've commented on your site before but I'll say it again; I think it's one of the best designed XenForo sites I've seen. The style complements the content really nicely. In fact it's quite inspirational, I've applied the 'less is more' philosophy to a private site I'm currently developing to share family photographs.

I'm sure I've commented on your site before but I'll say it again; I think it's one of the best designed XenForo sites I've seen. The style complements the content really nicely. In fact it's quite inspirational, I've applied the 'less is more' philosophy to a private site I'm currently developing to share family photographs.
Thank you again zappa! Its always nice to hear people enjoying something I put a fair amount of time into. Its only going to get better :)

I just removed the breadcrumbs from the home page and changed the look of them throughout the rest of the site to better match the theme I made. What do you guys think of the changes.

The forum home page looks good, and it looks good in the thread view. But if you are just looking at either a forum list or when I do a what's new and there's nothing there it looks kind of....empty between the breadcrumbs.

Screen Shot 2011-09-28 at 12.21.59 PM.webp

The forum home page looks good, and it looks good in the thread view. But if you are just looking at either a forum list or when I do a what's new and there's nothing there it looks kind of....empty between the breadcrumbs.
I just increased the size of the breadcrumbs and I think the forum list looks clean. It helps that there is a "post new thread" button to even things out. Unfortunately not much I can do about the "whats new" page. I'm a super picky designer and surprisingly, that page doesn't bother me. Thank you much for the input.

I just increased the size of the breadcrumbs and I think the forum list looks clean. It helps that there is a "post new thread" button to even things out. Unfortunately not much I can do about the "whats new" page. I'm a super picky designer and surprisingly, that page doesn't bother me. Thank you much for the input.
Actually that helps a lot with them being slightly bigger. Nice work.

great styling with great content
keep the good work up(y)
I really appreciate that.

Shouldn't the text in the banner be "SLR User" and not "Slruser" like it is now? :coffee:
Believe me, being a designer, I've gone back and forth with this in my head for months. In the end, I decided to go lower case strictly for esthetic purposes but I still might change it. The problem I had was with the spacing that the "L" presented. It looked uneven and ugly. I just played around with it some more and might have come up with a compromise. What do you think?

_r1_c2.webp

Believe me, being a designer, I've gone back and forth with this in my head for months. In the end, I decided to go lower case strictly for esthetic purposes but I still might change it. The problem I had was with the spacing that the "L" presented. It looked uneven and ugly. I just played around with it some more and might have come up with a compromise. What do you think?
To me at least it looks better with SLR in caps. Maybe it is because I know SLR is an abbreviation and so "Slr" stuck out like a sore-thumb to me but it may be just a case of me being picky about those types of things; either "slruser" or "SLRuser" but not "Slruser". :p Of the original logo and the capitalized version, I prefer the cap' version.

I'm not a graphic designer but I liked SLRuser the best. I have owned a few different SLR cameras and they always display the letters SLR in caps on the body, packaging, etc.

Looks nice though,

-JRW

Top Bottom