XF 1.1 Slooow Performance

tekgirl

I am beginning to experience performance issues all of a sudden. When my users reply to a post it takes quite a few seconds with the spinning wheel just spinning...I have tested it myself and it is happening to me as well.

What can I do to resolve this situation?

Thanks

Did you check the server load number when it's slow? At this point it could have multiple causes, but have you enabled a php accelerator like APC or XCache?

Your own server ? shared server ?
Server error logs ?

Shared server...but I checked with my hosting account (a friend owns the company) and he said there is no performance issue as far as the server goes...all I see in the server error logs are my sitemap being generated every minute. Not sure why that is occurring.

Thanks

Did you check the server load number when it's slow? At this point it could have multiple causes, but have you enabled a php accelerator like APC or XCache?

I did not - not sure how to do this with a shared server...and no, I do not have a PHP Accelerator enabled...thank you!

Shared server...but I checked with my hosting account (a friend owns the company) and he said there is no performance issue as far as the server goes...all I see in the server error logs are my sitemap being generated every minute. Not sure why that is occurring.

Thanks

Check the following:

AdminCP -> Tools -> Cron Entries -> Rebuild Sitemap

Make sure "Run at Hours" is set to 1, 2, or 3, but not ANY
Make sure "Minutes" is set to "0"

It's also possible that the script is hanging. You may also want to reduce the amount of URL's generated per map.

AdminCP -> Options -> Sitemap ->Maximum URLs to include per sitemap

Make sure it's at 10,000. If it's already there, you might try reducing it even further.

Check the following:

AdminCP -> Tools -> Cron Entries -> Rebuild Sitemap

Make sure "Run at Hours" is set to 1, 2, or 3, but not ANY
Make sure "Minutes" is set to "0"

Yes, this is what it is set at...thanks...but I have two entries for sitemap...rebuild sitemap and xenutilities sitemap...should I delete one?

It's also possible that the script is hanging. You may also want to reduce the amount of URL's generated per map.

AdminCP -> Options -> Sitemap ->Maximum URLs to include per sitemap

Make sure it's at 10,000. If it's already there, you might try reducing it even further.

Thanks...it is set at 10,000...where would I see what is there?

Loads fine for me. Took about 3 seconds to post a thread. Firebug-Page speed scored 69/100.

You may want to enable compression:

https://developers.google.com/speed/docs/best-practices/payload#GzipCompression
Overview

Compressing resources with gzip or deflate can reduce the number of bytes sent over the network.
Details

Most modern browsers support data compression for HTML, CSS, and JavaScript files. This allows content to be sent over the network in more compact form and can result in a dramatic reduction in download time.
Many web servers can compress files in gzip format before sending them for download, either by calling a third-party module or using built-in routines. To enable compression, configure your web server to set the Content-Encoding header to gzip format for all compressible resources. You can also use deflate, which uses the same compression algorithms, but it is not widely used, so we recommend gzip. If streaming compression imposes too much load on your server, you can usually configure it to pre-compress files and cache them for future downloading.
Note that gzipping is only beneficial for larger resources. Due to the overhead and latency of compression and decompression, you should only gzip files above a certain size threshold; we recommend a minimum range between 150 and 1000 bytes. Gzipping files below 150 bytes can actually make them larger.
Recommendations

Write your web page content to make compression most effective.
To ensure that your content compresses well, do the following:
  • Ensure consistency in HTML and CSS code. To achieve consistency:
    • Specify CSS key-value pairs in the same order where possible, i.e. alphabetize them.
    • Specify HTML attributes in the same order , i.e. alphabetize them. Put href first for links (since it is most common), then alphabetize the rest. For example, on Google's search results page, when HTML attributes were alphabetized, a 1.5% reduction in the size of the gzipped output resulted.
    • Use consistent casing, i.e. use lowercase wherever possible.
    • Use consistent quoting for HTML tag attributes, i.e. always single quote, always double quote, or no quoting at all where possible.
  • Minify JavaScript and CSS. Minifying JavaScript and CSS can enhance compression both for external JS and CSS files and for HTML pages containing inlined JS code and style blocks.
Don't use gzip for image or other binary files.
Image file formats supported by the web, as well as videos, PDFs and other binary formats, are already compressed; using gzip on them won't provide any additional benefit, and can actually make them larger. To compress images, see Optimize images.
Additional resources

Also, consider implementing caching: https://developers.google.com/speed/docs/best-practices/caching#LeverageBrowserCaching

Short of that, seems fine to me. Maybe you are located on part of the network that is having some issues between you and your host location - it happens. Ive had days where I experience long delays getting to my site but most others don't have a problem. We all take different routes to the host. Some of those routes may be having issues for days at a time.

I too am having these problems and they suddenly started yesterday morning. I did install two addons yesterday, "XenKingDir directory" and "Extend XenKingDir" both of which have been disabled but I still get the slow down.

It tends to only affect replies and is VERY intermittent...sometimes replies happen instantly, sometimes replies can take 10 or 20 seconds to appear. Sometimes you get a big red timeout message.

Really annoying. I was wondering if maybe re-uploading XF core files may help but don't know exactly what to do with that. Do I shut down the forum? Do I run an installation/upgrade routine afterwards?

One other thing I did do yesterday was create a user group promotion now I know there's a cron entry for that as well. Now it's not necessary I have promotions, but then i've only got 120 members so it's not like the database is being hit for thousands of users.

Just thinking out loud...

That promotion just puts them in a secondary member group so i'm thinking if I deleted it then their primary group would remain unchanged..

Top Bottom