Slightly odd install/import question

Ingenious

When I'm ready to go for it, I'd like to install XenForo in a different folder than my vB forum and spend a little while working on the style.

My question: Is there any problem with installing XenForo, creating a style you like and other modifications, then at a later date once you're happy with the looks, import the vB forum? Would this wipe over any (test) posts made and any user accounts created or would it add to them? (One advantage of this, if the import doesn't work for any reason, you still have the working vB forum and no-one is any the wiser :) )

Importing won't remove any existing forums, thread, posts or members.
In fact, if you import the same forum twice you will end up with duplicate data.

For any duplicate members though, you will be given the option of what to do; merge or rename.

This should help: http://xenforo.com/help/importing/

My advice is to take a backup of your XenForo database after you've set it all up and prior to importing.
Then you can restore it if you need to do the import again for any reason.
In reality you will need to do a few test imports just to understand the process and iron out any small problems, so having that base XenForo build backed up is crucial.

Thanks for that link Brogan. As the import is started from the admin area this confirms I can do it any time and am not restricted to only doing it during the installation :)

Interesting to see I can choose not to import PMs, I bet that will reduce my database size down quite a lot.

@Doctor - Thanks I will have a look at that.

Thanks for that link Brogan. As the import is started from the admin area this confirms I can do it any time and am not restricted to only doing it during the installation :)
Precisely.
I spent several months setting up my forum - the design, nodes, options, add-ons, etc. and then imported my existing phpBB database.

Interesting to see I can choose not to import PMs, I bet that will reduce my database size down quite a lot.
Yes, I only imported the basics - I told all my members they would be losing PMs, avatars, etc.
It was an opportunity to start afresh.

I would also recommend you tidy up your existing vB database as much as possible.
A lot of problems seem to stem from old permissions/user groups, etc. which haven't been removed fully and leave "phantom" data hanging around.

That's why at least one test import is required, just to see how everything comes across.

Top Bottom