Site Speed

Rho Delta

We just started blowing up twitter and went from about 15 online people to a couple hundred. Our site slowed down MAJORLY. What are some things I can tweak to handle the massive load of users better?

My host uses suPHP... so is there anything compatible with that that can speed up my site? I added the frontend and backend minify code to config.php and turned it on in the admin panel, that seems to have worked a LITTLE bit

My host uses suPHP... so is there anything compatible with that that can speed up my site? I added the frontend and backend minify code to config.php and turned it on in the admin panel, that seems to have worked a LITTLE bit

No opcode cacher will work with suphp (or dcgi) because caching only provides benefits on persistent php threads, in situations where php is killed on every new request such as suphp it provides no benefit at all.

Fastcgi and the apache php module do use persistent connections so you will gain the benefits there.

Try enabling debugging mode and take a look at the queries. You might have an add-on that's making unoptimized database queries. If it reports a fast page render time then it's probably a problem with something else like Apache.

I would be careful about send threads into Twitter and having bots hitting your site in mass numbers too frequently. I did the same at first and had the same issue of the site slowing and giving me 503 time outs. To be honest the MyBB forum I ran coped OK doing this with Twitter, but I have found things are quite different using XenForo. But I'm only on shared hosting and it's not geared up to be doing that type of thing "auto sending forum threads" into Twitter, Facebook and Digg like I was doing before.

I've stopped doing it now, plus it's only spamming them SN services anyway and it usually gets you nowhere.

Top Bottom