Site Avatars

Ryan Kent

I have a collection of avatars I would like to make available to my members. Is there something in place which would allow me to upload a group of avatars to my server, then add an option for members to browse those avatars and choose one?

I still wish for members to be able to upload their own, or use gravatar. These avatars would be an additional option.

A Page would work well.
Depending on how proficient you are with html/css (and php), you could easily build up a grid of images.

Of course it would still be a manual process for the members to download the image to their PC and then add it as their avatar.

Once 1.1 is released, I'm going to be putting together pages that only "X" usergroup can access and they'll have access at "X" number of posts (or whatever criteria is used for the usergroup promotions).

That should help put a band-aid on the issue of no avatar gallery for my needs.

is a great idea i used to have a ton of avatar in my old vb forum. some of my users actually used them but the majority choose to upload their own. if xf really going to implement this feature, it has to be different than vb. Otherwise i would like xf to remain the same as its...

A page with an avatar gallery or built into the admincp?
My plan was to have a section of admincp where you upload the avatars and then make the portion where users change it configurable whether it offers gravatar, custom, or ones uploaded from the admin cp...and if I can figure that out ties those to permissions as well.

Here is what I would do once 1.1 is out.

Create a custom profile field for these avatars.
Each option would choose a file (list it manually, its not going to change that often)
Edit the templates to show the profile field instead of the avatar field if its populated or user group permits it, etc.
Done
:)

To me this feature always seemed completely useless. Not sure why it is considered a 'must have'. Not having it forces the user to find or create his/her own avatar, making the forum more diverse. Why would anyone want to do the opposite? Also why does XF need to copy what other software did? Do you want a vB/IPB clone or something innovative?

To me this feature always seemed completely useless. Not sure why it is considered a 'must have'. Not having it forces the user to find or create his/her own avatar, making the forum more diverse. Why would anyone want to do the opposite? Also why does XF need to copy what other software did? Do you want a vB/IPB clone or something innovative?
That's why it's perfect for an addon in my opinion and not a core function. And on some sites it is beneficial to keep avatars "on theme" or "in character" I can definitely see the use for it.

Top Bottom