Simple Reddit-Style Upvote/Downvote Add-on

IMCD

I would like to have an add-on created to implement a reddit-style upvote/downvote system that functions as follows:

1. On forum display page, show up/down arrows and total points for each thread. Points for thread will be based on points for first post. Upvote/downvote can happen either on forum or thread display page.

2. On thread display page, show up/down arrows and total points for each post.

3. On user profile, show:

- Upvotes
- Downvotes
- User rating as % of upvotes vs total votes (6 upvotes and 4 downvotes = 60% rating)
- Voter rating as % of upvotes given vs downvotes given

Use color coding of ratings based on thresholds:

0-40% red
40-70% orange
70-90% medium green
90-100% dark green

4. Display user rating in user info beside user title.

5. Admin options:
- Display on forum page yes/no
- Display on each post yes/no
- Change thresholds and colors for ratings

Please provide your estimated completion time with your bid. Thank you!

Attachments

• Reddit-1.webp
    Reddit-1.webp
    35.1 KB · Views: 119
  • Reddit-3.webp
    Reddit-3.webp
    29.5 KB · Views: 104
  • Reddit-4.webp
    Reddit-4.webp
    26.4 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Hi Charlie,

I was hoping the same when I got that add-on but it is lacking a few of the features I need. It only allows voting on replies, not on the original post. Also I want some stats to display on the profile. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Hi Charlie,

I was hoping the same when I got that add-on but it is lacking a few of the features I need. It only allows voting on replies, not on the original post. Also I want some stats to display on the profile. Thanks for the suggestion, though.
Hey there,

Oh right I see, no problem at all. Perhaps seeing if ThemeHouse would implement these themselves? Always an idea if you have purchased it already, it could save you a lot of cash.

I hope either way you find something that works! :)

Yeah I approached them about adding a feature to another one of their add-ons and they said it wasn't a part of the add-on and that was that. Fortunately I've found a provider to do this and I'm thinking it will be nice once implemented.

Yeah I approached them about adding a feature to another one of their add-ons and they said it wasn't a part of the add-on and that was that. Fortunately I've found a provider to do this and I'm thinking it will be nice once implemented.
Oh, was worth trying at least - especially as you did purchase it. Good luck with finding someone, on bright side you have many working addons to show developers as an example on this.

Yeah, this could be a great addon and with a lot of potential sales.

I definitely want to buy is something like this appear for XF 2.0.

Hi Charlie,

I'll chip in for this.

Why can't @Xon's content rating addon be used but with just 2 ratings?

I think that already satisfies most of the criteria and I'm sure a bit of extra custom dev would be cheaper than devloping a whole new addon.

Reactions: Xon
Why can't @Xon's content rating addon be used but with just 2 ratings?

I think that already satisfies most of the criteria and I'm sure a bit of extra custom dev would be cheaper than devloping a whole new addon.

That would be up to the author. I've always found the various emoji ratings to be incredibly stupid. If it works for the masses, great. But I'm not interested.

I'm looking for a reddit style net up/down vote rating system.

That would be up to the author. I've always found the various emoji ratings to be incredibly stupid. If it works for the masses, great. But I'm not interested.

I'm looking for a reddit style net up/down vote rating system.

I think you've misunderstood...

You could set one rating as an Up arrow, another as a Down. That's it.

The addon already does a fair amount of the functionality you want.

One thing I hope doesn’t get looked over on an add-on like this is that reddit works well this way because you see new content each time you visit (depending on how much you visit). Up/down vote system alone with no extra configuration will just show the same general content for most forums, it'll also just promote your users to downvote good content to get it off the home page (which is not how reddit works).

XF has something built-in that could actually help with this:

Screenshot_4.webp

Which will limit what content is show in forums, however, you can't sort like first message likes, and the minimum thread list is set to 7 days, which ideally you'd probably want lower. Extending those may be a nice approach to include in an add-on with up/down votes.

One thing I hope doesn’t get looked over on an add-on like this is that reddit works well this way because you see new content each time you visit (depending on how much you visit). Up/down vote system alone with no extra configuration will just show the same general content for most forums, it'll also just promote your users to downvote good content to get it off the home page (which is not how reddit works).

XF has something built-in that could actually help with this:

View attachment 184397

Which will limit what content is show in forums, however, you can't sort like first message likes, and the minimum thread list is set to 7 days, which ideally you'd probably want lower. Extending those may be a nice approach to include in an add-on with up/down votes.
Its tough because this bridges the gap between intelligently assuming what data a user would want to see. Simply hiding threads (which Im actually not sure what this does specifically) might be confusing as some users might expect to find threads. It works at scale like on Reddit because the users kinda expect to not see the same thing twice. On a forum its more personal and there is a lot less content.

I do agree overall, that this is what makes that function useful, the upvoting is essentially just a means to score what content gets displayed not the end all be all.

Oh believe me if I could get what I wanted without paying to create a custom add-on, I'd have gone that route by now. There are many rating and reactions add-ons but none could be configured to do exactly what I wanted, and most had features that I didn't want or need.

My approach is to focus on simple, easy usability without adding unnecessary clicks, steps, or features.

I am not a fan of hiding content based on down-voting, at least for now. I like displaying content by last posted and increase user interaction with upvoting and down-voting.

The dev I chose and I agreed to use the existing likes system for up-votes and duplicate it for down-votes so that threads can still be sorted by first post likes.

Top Bottom