SimCity Talk

Got a new logo in place now and I have also added the showcase addon so people can share their cities with the rest of the community and discuss them. We have (Well Russ mainly) added a server status page that will pull the info from EA and show what servers are available and which ones aren't. Trying to do the little things that will separate us from the rest of the sites that are of the same nature.

looking great. :) I did a small mockup in photoshop but perhaps titling the speech bubble slightly to give it some perspective? Not sure it will work though I was also going to suggest having buildings shooting out of the bubble?Probably make it a little bit smaller (speech bubble) and have more spacing within for the talk and bubble.

Not sure that was the direction you want to go but thought i'd suggest it. simcity-talk.webp

Thanks for the suggestion Shelley it is much appreciated. I think I like the logo as is. When Russ has time he will be adding some game content pics in places to spruce things up a bit.

He has gotten the site I would say about 98% done so I will let him finish when he isn't busy doing custom work for others. He has already spent so much time on this one. 98% is good enough to give people a great first impression.

looking great. :) I did a small mockup in photoshop but perhaps titling the speech bubble slightly to give it some perspective? Not sure it will work though I was also going to suggest having buildings shooting out of the bubble?Probably make it a little bit smaller (speech bubble) and have more spacing within for the talk and bubble.

Not sure that was the direction you want to go but thought i'd suggest it. View attachment 41976

That reminds me Shelley did you ever get to where you can play the game or are you still waiting a bit longer?

That reminds me Shelley did you ever get to where you can play the game or are you still waiting a bit longer?

I can play the game. built up a very prosperous city. Then because there are slots to create new citys, I created another, went on the same server I created my new city with and lost my old city, all gone. Haven't went back to it for a few days was kind of gutted that I lost my city.

As for the servers they seem to be running good and I hadn't experienced any issues after the first couple of days after i purchased. But it's a good game just riddled with some seriously bad flaws.

How about you, have you been playing the game? :)

I'll have to join. I played for a few days with the servers off and on, but I never could find a good resource on how things like the trade depot and port with with freight.

I can't seem to keep any city in my region over 100,000 people.

I'll have to join. I played for a few days with the servers off and on, but I never could find a good resource on how things like the trade depot and port with with freight.

I can't seem to keep any city in my region over 100,000 people.

These regions I've been meaning to ask can they be expanded I find that it's limiting when you want to place more buildings? Or is this one of the game flaws people have been angry about and they can't be expanded to build more upon?

Right now, they can't be expanded. I've only played the "Shoals" one I think, it's got 3 cities you can build in there, as well as the "Great Work". I need 1,000,000 Simoleans to start the Great Work, but I've only got about 300,000 at the moment, and about 289,000 residents, in the region, total.

I think other regions allow you more cities to build with, but it's really a lame example, as you have to "load" the city when you switch to it, within the same region.

I have regions started on 4 different servers due to the previous server problems, and it's hard to really get engaged with them, when they all seem to be about the same.

In the "old days", you could leave your city in "cheetah mode" all night, in an effort to raise a lot of Simoleans, but I found that even if I have a pretty well-run city, I haven't been able to leave it alone more than an hour or two, to generate cash.

And I'm not entirely sure if this is the case, but if you leave your city to build cash for an hour or so, I don't think the other cities in your region accumulate wealth, just the city you have loaded. I'm not entirely 100% sure if that's the case though. It's just what I've seen from "Region View", I don't see the other cities $$$ or populations growing.

Right now, they can't be expanded. I've only played the "Shoals" one I think, it's got 3 cities you can build in there, as well as the "Great Work". I need 1,000,000 Simoleans to start the Great Work, but I've only got about 300,000 at the moment, and about 289,000 residents, in the region, total.

I think other regions allow you more cities to build with, but it's really a lame example, as you have to "load" the city when you switch to it, within the same region.

I have regions started on 4 different servers due to the previous server problems, and it's hard to really get engaged with them, when they all seem to be about the same.

In the "old days", you could leave your city in "cheetah mode" all night, in an effort to raise a lot of Simoleans, but I found that even if I have a pretty well-run city, I haven't been able to leave it alone more than an hour or two, to generate cash.

And I'm not entirely sure if this is the case, but if you leave your city to build cash for an hour or so, I don't think the other cities in your region accumulate wealth, just the city you have loaded. I'm not entirely 100% sure if that's the case though. It's just what I've seen from "Region View", I don't see the other cities $$$ or populations growing.

Thanks for the info Dave. I think I'll need to get more involved in it again and see what you can and can't do. I'm guessing there's a little I still need to learn about the game so might start it up again tonight.

I can play the game. built up a very prosperous city. Then because there are slots to create new citys, I created another, went on the same server I created my new city with and lost my old city, all gone. Haven't went back to it for a few days was kind of gutted that I lost my city.

As for the servers they seem to be running good and I hadn't experienced any issues after the first couple of days after i purchased. But it's a good game just riddled with some seriously bad flaws.

How about you, have you been playing the game? :)

Not that much here lately. Been working on my site trying to get it up an going. Plan to start playing it again alot soon.

Looks good, but as someone else mentioned, I would go with a different logo (or at least seek permission to use it). No sense giving EA a reason to slap your host with a cease & desist letter, or worst-case scenario you with a trademark infringement lawsuit.

If not, might want to make it more clear you're not affiliated with them.

Looks good, but as someone else mentioned, I would go with a different logo (or at least seek permission to use it). No sense giving EA a reason to slap your host with a cease & desist letter, or worst-case scenario you with a trademark infringement lawsuit.

If not, might want to make it more clear you're not affiliated with them.

I decided I would just contact EA and sent them a copy of the logo I am using asking for their permission to use the "official" logo as part of mine. If they come back and say no I can't then I will just have a new logo made.

Your site looks nice. Very nice. I like the design very much....

Too bad it's not for sale. :(

And FYI, leave everything alone, except the logo.
I decided I would just contact EA and sent them a copy of the logo I am using asking for their permission to use the "official" logo as part of mine. If they come back and say no I can't then I will just have a new logo made.
EA and other companies want more fan sites like yours, so I don't think this will be a problem.

Your site looks nice. Very nice. I like the design very much....

Too bad it's not for sale. :(

And FYI, leave everything alone, except the logo.

EA and other companies want more fan sites like yours, so I don't think this will be a problem.

Well I paid good money for that style to be one of a kind and not for sale to anyone else. That's the great thing about a custom theme. My site will be the only one that looks like it unless they find someone to make them a theme just like it. I would like to think that EA wouldn't have a problem with me using part of their logo in my logo but thought I better check. Still waiting to hear back from them. Glad you like it though.

I don't get the whole XFHost sidebar thing. It's just taking up space where something like recent threads or recent statuses could go.

I would also either,

A) Increase the slider story width
B) Decrease the amount of characters for slider headers

Other than that, looks great!

Top Bottom