Add-on Silence user

tosiabunio

Add-on that allows marking a specific user and hide his post from the view for other users but not for him. The silenced users isn't aware that he is silenced, but other users are free from him annoying them.

Only posts posted after silence has been enabled are affected. Lifting the silence ban doesn't show those post ever again - this actually should be a flag added to posts not to the user.

The intention of this plugin is to discourage users from participating in the discussion without an outright ban.

The thing with something like this is you are not addressing the actual issue at hand. Banning or warninings seem to be a far better idea at least the member knows that their actions are not acceptable to the forum.

The thing with something like this is you are not addressing the actual issue at hand. Banning or warninings seem to be a far better idea at least the member knows that their actions are not acceptable to the forum.

It's a different thing. It isn't a replacement for banning.

The point of this is a bit like the discourage user, it can put people off that you want to just go away and not ban. I've banned people only for them to then try to rejoin or cause a nuisance.

I think this can be a useful feature.

Some people do work it out if they discover their posts are there when they are logged, but not there when logged out.

Last edited:
With the force-ignore suggestion posted you also get the 'Reveal ignored posts' (or whatever the phrase is) link at the bottom of threads. That would make it obvious someone is being ignored which could confuse people.

With the force-ignore suggestion posted you also get the 'Reveal ignored posts' (or whatever the phrase is) link at the bottom of threads. That would make it obvious someone is being ignored which could confuse people.

I commented that line out of the thread view template.

If I remember correctly Tachy goes to Coventry was actually created because a user kept circumventing bans and other built in moderating functions.

If I remember correctly Tachy goes to Coventry was actually created because a user kept circumventing bans and other built in moderating functions.
You mean it was made for one naughty member called Tachy? Brilliant!

Yes, global ignore is something I was looking for. I will try Force Ignore plugin as a workaround, but I would prefer the solution that is invisible to all users in order to prevent other informing the one ignored that such ignore is active. Also I would like to give this power to my moderators not just admins.

Okay, after 30 minutes of Forced Ignore in action I have the first user complaining to me that he has someone ignored and cannot un-ignore him. Then someone else posted this publicly naming ignored user. This is definitely something I would like to avoid - global ignore shouldn't be communicated to anyone.

Last edited:
Add-on that allows marking a specific user and hide his post from the view for other users but not for him. The silenced users isn't aware that he is silenced, but other users are free from him annoying them.

Only posts posted after silence has been enabled are affected. Lifting the silence ban doesn't show those post ever again - this actually should be a flag added to posts not to the user.

The intention of this plugin is to discourage users from participating in the discussion without an outright ban.
This would be exactly what I want.

Yes, global ignore is something I was looking for. I will try Force Ignore plugin as a workaround, but I would prefer the solution that is invisible to all users in order to prevent other informing the one ignored that such ignore is active. Also I would like to give this power to my moderators not just admins.

Okay, after 30 minutes of Forced Ignore in action I have the first user complaining to me that he has someone ignored and cannot un-ignore him. Then someone else posted this publicly naming ignored user. This is definitely something I would like to avoid - global ignore shouldn't be communicated to anyone.

I'm looking for this feature, I had it on my old VB and it was very usefull. The name of this feature in VB is "Global Ignore" and it is extremly usefull for my big board.

Now I migrate to xenforo and I miss this feature a lot.

Top Bottom