Sign into forum software with (Apple?) Touch ID ?

Digital Doctor

Is this possible ? desirable ? happening now ?

I know you can sign up with Facebook, Google ID, etc.

Since I can now pay for stuff with my fingerprint ... should I be able to "register" for a forum with a fingerprint too ?

It would certainly be convenient.

Actually they do provide an API but it's only for Apps. So unless Apple makes it where you can use it for browsers and websites then it wouldn't be possible.

xenforo.signup.Touch.ID.webp

@Slavik - something to consider for your app ?

Don't you think they will ?
Why wouldn't they ?
Seems like a good way to "lock in" iPhone users ? (via convenience).

I'm no developer or anything but looks like it's pretty extensive to implement. Maybe for a developer it's not but I honestly don't see this coming to browsers and websites anytime soon. I could be wrong and I usually am.

I may be wrong as I haven't tested it yet, but I'm pretty sure you can log into your OSX now by simply wearing an apple watch when attempting to log on.

This is because once it's on your wrist and authenticated it's trusted to be tied directly to you. It can be trusted because it is in turn tied to your phone which is authenticated via pin or fingerprint.

I think this same authentication may be accepted by some e-commerce websites. It would make sense that you could potentially use the fingerprint or simple action of wearing an authenticated apple watch to login to a website at some point in the future.

Finger(prints) crossed.....okay, I'll leave now....

I'm no developer or anything but looks like it's pretty extensive to implement. Maybe for a developer it's not but I honestly don't see this coming to browsers and websites anytime soon. I could be wrong and I usually am.
If an API actually existed to use this service, it wouldn't be *that* difficult to implement. It'd be messy, because with Apple it always is, but it'd be doable and not too difficult. But I doubt they will use touch ID as a method of openid or an openid-like system.

Top Bottom