Show your support for the dev's - what do you like about XenForo?

Paul B

XenForo moderator
Staff member
Of late there has been a lot of criticism and complaints about various features of XenForo.

I have been as guilty of this as anyone so now's the time to put that right.

Post here about what you like (love?) about XenForo and let's show Kier and Mike our appreciation and give them our support for all their hard work.

It's easy to sit on the other side of the screen criticising stuff we don't like or don't agree with, without appreciating the time, effort and consideration which has gone into it.

I like:

The simple, clean, uncluttered look and feel.
The ajax loading which does away with the need for page refreshes.
The "Likes" system.
Followers/News Feeds - like Twitter but better
Personal Conversations - like PMs but better
Pages - I already have loads of ideas for this feature on my site
All the other little touches which just add up to make XenForo unique

Excellent thread!

ALL of the above, PLUS:

Member Cards
Alerts
Inline Moderation
Status updates
Mike and Kier listening to, and interacting with, the members
much more!

Agreed with the above, plus:

• Hovering over a forum brings up the description
  • The way the subforums are handled (drop down)
  • Geolocation on google when location is clicked from member card

The Alerts are probably the most impressive/innovative with regards to managing notifications from a variety of randomly occurring events. Things that could happen at any time, akin to a software interrupt service routine.

Assuming they are kept like they are now, simple to use and understand, there could be all sorts of things that we could be alerted for that happens on a random basis. Without mixing that information into the normal operation of reading Whats New and Watched Threads, or even News Feeds.

I look at how other software company blogs/content are set up, and find the Alert system far superior from a UI point of view.

XF has re-invigorating a dying animal and gives hope to everybody that we haven't seen the end of forums yet. :)

I agree, that's the beauty of this software: it's actually designed for communication with the end user in mind. I can't say it enough: this has put the fun back in forums. I'd buy it as-is, with maybe the wishlist of 1) working multi-quote and 2) .... no, I don't even have a 2), I think it's ready to go.

Of late there has been a lot of criticism and complaints about various features of XenForo.

I have been as guilty of this as anyone so now's the time to put that right.

Post here about what you like (love?) about XenForo and let's show Kier and Mike our appreciation and give them our support for all their hard work.

It's easy to sit on the other side of the screen criticising stuff we don't like or don't agree with, without appreciating the time, effort and consideration which has gone into it.

I like:

The simple, clean, uncluttered look and feel.
The ajax loading which does away with the need for page refreshes.
The "Likes" system.
Followers/News Feeds - like Twitter but better
Personal Conversations - like PMs but better
Pages - I already have loads of ideas for this feature on my site
All the other little touches which just add up to make XenForo unique

Was anything ever wrong? Constructive criticism is helpful, and contributes to a better product in the long run. From what I've seen, people have been pretty respectful when providing their feedback.

That said, I haven't really had any criticisms/complaints. I generally like just about everything I've seen -- a rarity that is. :)

More spectacular things:

Outstanding/bullet proof thread marking system, I've yet to see it get confused. It remembers what posts were displayed, and when coming back to a thread that was not completely read, it will display that last post the was not displayed (it will remember where you left off).

In addition, the News feeds, the entire concept is incredibly simple yet powerful, and elegant. I can follow people of interest, or if bored, follow everyones news feeds. I believe what *really* makes it outstanding, is that it appears to work with the thread marking system really well. I believe the way it works is that when clicking on a post from a news feed, a page of posts can be viewed, but those posts are not marked as read until more actions are taken (click on another page, First Unread Post, etc). That allows the thread to be read later, in order, instead of having some of the posts marked as read.

And since I've been scattering these things all over the board as asides...

- the insert-a-link thingy -- which doesn't result in the usual message from Norton for some reason (added bonus)
- the way the quotes hug the top of the postbit, freeing up real estate and keeping things streamlined,
- I only came across this once, but if you quote someone and post the reply, the software will then tell you that there have been more posts - do you want to read them (or something like that) anyway it was very handy
- the lack of clutter in general is just wonderful!
- the Alerts system has given me a whole new sympathy for people hooked on crack cocaine
- it's so FAST
- it's so easy - dive right in, no steep learning curve
- people POST! And that's the acid test isn't it? That's the real endgame for board owners: board members who settle in for the long haul, instead of posting a few times, lurking awhile and then drifting away. So, you can read 3000 articles on "how to get your board members to stick around" (with things like fake activity, prizes, nagging them via newsletter, blahblahblah...) or you can actually make it fun for them to post. Which this does.

the most impressive thing of this board was the speed ... it really impressed me ... :)

however i didn't forget all the things that you (all) have previously noticed ... :p

Top Bottom