1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Show First Post Only Two 1.4

Shows first post only to guests.

1. AndyB

AndyB Well-Known Member

AndyB submitted a new resource:

Show First Post Only - Shows first post only to guests.

Read more about this resource...
  2. AndyB

AndyB Well-Known Member

3. AndyB

AndyB Well-Known Member

4. AndyB

AndyB Well-Known Member

5. adwolf1

adwolf1 Active Member

hi andy, just trying to figure out what the difference is between this add-on and your other one you made that does something similar.

i'm using your older one now, it seems to have a similar feature set (unless i've missed something)

thanks for your great work!
  6. AndyB

AndyB Well-Known Member

7. vij

vij Active Member

I have a suggestion that will keep both Google and the admin happy woith a compromise.

Suggestion 1
    Allow to set this "first post restrictions" to be applied twice a week only or at a frequency the user decides.
    This will help Google crawl the whole content and keep it happy and also bring in new users when the restriction is there..

Suggestion 2
    Maybe hide the content in camouflaged spoiler code such that the visitor cant see but google bot can.

Established boards may not like to do it for reasons, but new forums can use the above suggestions. And really newer forums are the ones that need an addon like this!
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
  8. Mr Lucky

Mr Lucky Well-Known Member

Google would penalise the site for doing this.
    tajhay likes this.
  9. vij

vij Active Member

They suggestion is for visible spoiler codes - not invisible but also not that visible. I dont think that will be a problem.
  10. Mr Lucky

I thought you meant so that the visitor would not be able to see the content but Google can. I don't quite get the point of putting the content in a spoiler that the visitor can then click on and view, if the point of the adddon is to hide it completely.
  11. vij

vij Active Member

I meant creatively camoflouging it, although my "Suggestion 1" is more useful perhaps.
  12. Mr Lucky

In what way?

'm not sure about suggestion 1 also. So Google would sometimes see content and sometimes not? Would that keep Google happy?
  13. vij

vij Active Member

About suggestion 2

Having something like "register here and view post"
    "Register here" will be bold and colored "view post" will look like a normal word but will b a spoiler code. Just an idea.

Suggestion 1 would work ok if restriction is enforced maybe twice a week. That's my opinion.
  14. Mr Lucky

15. vij

vij Active Member

I would use it in one section maybe. Because using spoiler code in something as clearly stated as "view post" is not breaking any points laid out by Google.

In any case it is my other "suggestion 1" that I hope Andy will consider for people willing to use it.
  16. Bobsilvio

Bobsilvio Member

Suggestion: Is possible add a Option..
    Select a usergroup?