Add-on Shoutbox that supports 1.2.x

Reading through the taigachat discussion - seems there are a lot of broken features in it and not everyone can get it to work right in 1.2 without extensive modification listed throughout the thread. Seems that one was made to work with 1.1, but can be shore-horned into mostly work with 1.2.

Thank you though, Brogan.

Martok - I did find that one and it seems to work well enough with 1.2, but it seems like it's more of a chat than shoutbox. There doesn't seem to be an option in config menu to place it on the index page even though it seems to indicate that it's supported. But I'm looking into it and am a novice as well.
Thank you.

Hmmm okay. I'll give it a shot then and see what happens....but you can probably see my concern from the posts in the threat lol.

This is a fresh install, so may the odds be in my favor :)

thanks.

Thanks Shyuan.

Matthew - did you not read the part in my first post where I said, "Not looking for a paid solution."? I appreciate your response, but it was not helpful. If I had wanted a paid solution, it was readily visible when I looked around. I am not adverse to paying for something I need, but I personally feel it is over priced and that realistically, like with many other forum software out there, that a shoutbox is pretty standard mod and any decent modding community would have one that isn't paid.

My community is very, very tiny and with the money I already paid for the forum and the maintenance, paying more money for mods is not economically smart. I would have been better off just using a free forum software but I have a soft spot for the developers of Xenforo.

Reading through the taigachat discussion - seems there are a lot of broken features in it and not everyone can get it to work right in 1.2 without extensive modification listed throughout the thread. Seems that one was made to work with 1.1, but can be shore-horned into mostly work with 1.2.

Thank you though, Brogan.

Martok - I did find that one and it seems to work well enough with 1.2, but it seems like it's more of a chat than shoutbox. There doesn't seem to be an option in config menu to place it on the index page even though it seems to indicate that it's supported. But I'm looking into it and am a novice as well.
Thank you.

Since your not looking for a paid solution, rather than reading about issues did you test and try the free version of the Taigachat yourself?

I have actually...well I have it installed...I think I fixed the smile icon, which was broken and I sorta fixed the bbcode to some degree, I think.

I installed the other chat too (modm), just so I could look it over.

I haven't really tested either yet, but I will tomorrow. No obvious errors abounding from anywhere that I've seen yet.

Thank you for asking.

I have actually...well I have it installed...I think I fixed the smile icon, which was broken and I sorta fixed the bbcode to some degree, I think.

I installed the other chat too (modm), just so I could look it over.

I haven't really tested either yet, but I will tomorrow. No obvious errors abounding from anywhere that I've seen yet.

Thank you for asking.

I've never used (modM) myself so can't really speak for that chat add-on but I know taigachat worked extremely well on many configurations of xenforo without issue. I think you will get along with Taiga once you start testing it thoroughly and I'm sure if you did bump into any issues, Luke Foreman would be willing to provide a solution for you to fix that. But I doubt you'll have any trouble with it.

Hopefully either one of the add-ons will work out for you.

So far I've had the chance to play around with both mods.

I do like Taiga, it's got a very shoutbox feel. I'll post in the thread and see if there is a better fix for the bbcode then what I did. It seems to work just fine though.

Modm feels different and is much more like an IRC'esque chatroom. I did see you could do some edits and make it a shoutbox, but it definitely feels more like a chatroom to me. It is also working with no particular issues.

I am a novice with all the code edits, but not a total n00b...I used to edit vB pretty heavily in the past, before it became bloatware. But now I am old and lazy and don't wanna do that anymore :)

So the end result is I'll just leave both as options are good things to have.

Thank you for your advice, information and words.

So far I've had the chance to play around with both mods.

I do like Taiga, it's got a very shoutbox feel. I'll post in the thread and see if there is a better fix for the bbcode then what I did. It seems to work just fine though.

Modm feels different and is much more like an IRC'esque chatroom. I did see you could do some edits and make it a shoutbox, but it definitely feels more like a chatroom to me. It is also working with no particular issues.

I am a novice with all the code edits, but not a total n00b...I used to edit vB pretty heavily in the past, before it became bloatware. But now I am old and lazy and don't wanna do that anymore :)

So the end result is I'll just leave both as options are good things to have.

Thank you for your advice, information and words.

If you do have any issues or end up purchasing the pro version (since I've played with this and modified it extensively) there will be plenty of people to help out. Good to hear you got positive results. :)

Top Bottom