• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Should voting in a poll count as a "reply" for What's New purposes ?

optrex

Funny I asked why this DIDN'T happen just the other week. I too think it should.
Many a time a person jumps on the poll and votes, but it gets lost because no-one comments.

Digital Doctor

I would say no and this could take a lot of coding working for an extremely small amount of benefit.
Too bad, I was hoping it was easy.

Polls suffer because of the lack of exposure to the What's New list.

Polls need to be entirely removed from [New Post] and need to be improved. They should be their own Content Type, unrelated to regular threads.

Digital Doctor

I've modded the original idea that New Votes in a Poll should "BUMP" the thread back to "NEW". I think it should, but that you might only allow the bumping to occur for a certain length of time, say 1 week.

This will keep recent Polls ACTIVE ... but if the poll sucks .... it'll die before the week specified time frame.

Digital Doctor

Another tweak to this would be informing the person who just voted that a vote ALONE won't bump the thread by they can reply to the Poll/Thread which will bump the Poll to what's new. But that's probably overkill. But I bet someone might want it ! :)

Other tweak options:
(1) More than X votes (say 3) in a period of time (say 3 days) would automatically constitute a bump.
(2) Every second or every third vote would bump the Poll.
(3) Votes would automatically trigger the post to be NEW for those that haven't VOTED yet ! (They might vote just to shut the poll up !) (PLUS, they wouldn't have to see the poll in what's new when there were no new replies (ie. just a new vote in the poll)). (You might want to have every poll have a [dismiss] option ... if you dont want to vote to shut the poll up).
(4) ie. when someone votes in a poll, a new reply is autogenerated, which outlines who voted +/- what they voted for.

Digital Doctor

Idea: If you want a Vote to bump the Poll back into What's New (so it can be found by others)(to keep the poll alive)... then you could add a new post saying ... Person X voted on the poll. That would bump it up (plus it would give something new to find for the thread watchers).
It would work similar to when a new version of an addon in the Resource Manager is added (a post automatically appears in the thread).