Should Twitter sue IB ?

Digital Doctor

Just a quick shout out to vB's legal team .... Props for your unique lack of logical thought and the obvious entertainment value this omission brings.

vBulletin.copies.Twitters.design.webp

So .... you claim harm from Xenforo stealing your "Copy Twitter" logic - before you could get to it ?
So vB is allowed to copy Twitter and be "Twitter-like" but xF is not allowed ?

So the lawyers admit vBulletin copies other software such as Twitter. They directly say vBulletin is trying to be "Twitter-like".
If they condone making their software like another .... why wouldn't another software be able to be like theirs ?

Hang on a minute, I could be getting confused with what your referring to here? But Twitter themselves show you how to integrate it's features into your site using the developers tools page. That's how I did the same with my forum board using that page.

link: http://dev.twitter.com/pages/tweet_button
It's referring to the "Follow [user]" functionality in XenForo. VBSI claims that it had plans to have such a Twitter-like "following" system (yet to be implemented) but XF has stolen that idea.

In theory, if VBSI can "steal" the idea from Twitter, why can't XF?

It's referring to the "Follow [user]" functionality in XenForo. VBSI claims that it had plans to have such a Twitter-like "following" system (yet to be implemented) but XF has stolen that idea.

In theory, if VBSI can "steal" the idea from Twitter, why can't XF?

Thanks for explaining that. It seem odd to me somebody can claim "you stole an idea from them", one that they are not even using themselves at the time.

IB sure do have a way with wording things, they keep digging that hole bigger for themselves. They've more or less admitted in a signed document they stole the idea from twitter themselves first.

It's hard to claim harm from someone poaching your ideas, when you admit your software poaches ideas from other companies.

If "Twitter-like" is OK ... then so is "Vbulletin-like".

Note: I'm not remotely suggesting xenforo poached any ideas from vB.

Did Vb have to submit patents for their software like apple does with their iphone apps? I saw something on /. once where they did a comparison of new apple patents vs what was currently available in the app store. The apps that weren't protected via patents were submitted by apple using their ideas and direct copies of their interfaces. Apple got the patent for some cool apps, and the developers kinda got screwed.

Did Vb have to submit patents for their software like apple does with their iphone apps? I saw something on /. once where they did a comparison of new apple patents vs what was currently available in the app store. The apps that weren't protected via patents were submitted by apple using their ideas and direct copies of their interfaces. Apple got the patent for some cool apps, and the developers kinda got screwed.

They've submitted copyright certs.

It is only a matter of time that vBulletin will be dead. Nobody wants to purchase a dead forum software.
XenForo is the future leader of Forum software.
Agree with you, XenForo and IPB.
vBulletin now is dead for most of the webmasters

I think this could have been a big reason why IB was so fussed about Kier and Mike creating XenForo in the first place. I've took notice with IB that they seem to have a high turn-over of staff, they appear to take on cheap labour (college whiz kids) who's just left looking for work, who they don't have to pay a large wage too no doubt because of their age I'm guessing. Then a year later they are getting shut of them, replaced with another cheap batch of young coders just out of college. Or they've left already beforehand to another company who poached them away from IB. Pretty much like we've already seen happen there a few times with Sophie and one or two others leaving soon after first getting them!

There's no stability anymore at vBulletin, and each one has to learn things all over again working with the vB product and team as a new recruit. I knew this would happen the first minute it became obvious IB was more interested in the money making graph charts and developing it on the cheap, than they was about the quality of the product being sold.

They have no passion for creating something great, that the biggest problem. They'd sooner spend time moving onto another new money making App, rather than first getting stuck-in and providing a superior forum product first and foremost that their customers are very happy with, and would keep them faithful to the product as a result. You can't keep selling people trash and expect they'll carry on paying for it!

And if you don't have the passion to create something great, your on a loser from day one.

It is only a matter of time that vBulletin will be dead. Nobody wants to purchase a dead forum software.
XenForo is the future leader of Forum software.
They could turn everything around imo, Drop these silly claims and focus on bug fixing....

This all makes me laugh. IPB and vBulletin in the past have been copying each others features to try and better one another for years without any of this stuff going on now. It's all part and parcel of what makes each product better over time. MyBB also got away with creating a very obvious clone of vBulletin it has to be said without any of this, and they offer MyBB for using free.

Why can't IB just accept that forum developers are always going to look at another forum boards strong points and use it for their own forum software if they feel it can benefit from it.

That's how things progress with each one in general. Not only ONE forum software product always comes up with the original ideas each time.

Their talk about the following/followers feature on Xenforo.

Now i'm sure that in the future can claims that Xenforo ripped the idea of like on topic. :D

Does vBulletin not have this feature named as friends since vBulletin 3.7?

So if Internet Brands can sue for Twitter. Does that mean xenForo can sue Internet Brands for Facebook based on the friends request feature?

My point is that only Twitter can sue xenForo for tweets and Facebook can only sue Internet Brands for friends request, right?

Top Bottom