Should i get xenForo

x4rl

Hello all

Well i cant say am rolling in money but! So many people have left vbulletin for this
Is it really that much better?
I do like the feel and look

I just feel ive wasted so much money in vb this is the real problem for me (vb,vbseo,mods etc..)

I read alot about it on VB seem to be the same story thats why i came back here
Vb4.1.2 just pissed me off to much i guess the "email" thing was the last bit i could take Sigh

Exactly. Just finished reading that article myself. I am at the point now that I am selling my vb4 suite and picking up another license of xenforo. I had a customer that wanted to run a site on vb but they are reconsidering. If it all goes well, that will be three licenses for me. The 4.1.2 release for me was the last straw. Heck Floris and gang reverted my vb4 mistake back to vb3 and my members began returning in numbers. They seem to like the xenforo format so soon they will be using that.

Exactly. Just finished reading that article myself. I am at the point now that I am selling my vb4 suite and picking up another license of xenforo. I had a customer that wanted to run a site on vb but they are reconsidering. If it all goes well, that will be three licenses for me. The 4.1.2 release for me was the last straw. Heck Floris and gang reverted my vb4 mistake back to vb3 and my members began returning in numbers. They seem to like the xenforo format so soon they will be using that.

I hear you man. I have four sites all running vb4 >< what a total waste. I will be getting XF very soon and picking the other 3 up later 110%

I've read through this and many other threads and I'm still reluctant to jump in without the chance of having a good look at what I'm getting into.

I have a niche site that has been around on vbulletin (currently 3.8.x) for 7 years. For a couple of years recently it was basically on auto-pilot, but in the past month, I've begun to pay much more attention to it. Currently, there are 100,000 posts and some 75,000 members.

I've been checking out this and a few other xenforo sites, and I love the speed and simplicity. I've also seen a few of the admin videos, which have made me familiar with managerial functions.

So perhaps some kind souls can answer specific questions for me:

1. I see a lot of posts here that suggest if you are a developer, then switching to xenforo from vb is a no-brainer. How about knowledgable, non-developer, administrators?

2. How easy is it to build a simple template?

3. Is there a gallery of xenforo forums out there? (I would love to see examples of other looks, particularly using sidebars with other blocks such as RSS feeds, ad boxes, etc.).

4. In the stock conversion from vB, are all users and their usergroup (Administrators, Moderators, Registered Users, Banned Users, etc) converted correctly?

5. Also in the conversion, are the vB URLs for messages maintained? (This is particularly important for links, from Google, other sites, etc., to continue to work)?

6. Does xenforo do a good job of keeping spam off the board? Does it provide an easy, single-click, method of getting rid of the spammers who manage to get through and all their droppings?

7. Are there some admin user controls like max number of posts per day?

Thanks . . .

So perhaps some kind souls can answer specific questions for me:

1. I see a lot of posts here that suggest if you are a developer, then switching to xenforo from vb is a no-brainer. How about knowledgable, non-developer, administrators?

2. How easy is it to build a simple template?

3. Is there a gallery of xenforo forums out there? (I would love to see examples of other looks, particularly using sidebars with other blocks such as RSS feeds, ad boxes, etc.).

4. In the stock conversion from vB, are all users and their usergroup (Administrators, Moderators, Registered Users, Banned Users, etc) converted correctly?

5. Also in the conversion, are the vB URLs for messages maintained? (This is particularly important for links, from Google, other sites, etc., to continue to work)?

6. Does xenforo do a good job of keeping spam off the board? Does it provide an easy, single-click, method of getting rid of the spammers who manage to get through and all their droppings?

7. Are there some admin user controls like max number of posts per day?

Thanks . . .

1. I don't see why not, plenty of people have done it.
2. Easier than vBulletin.
3. http://xenforo.com/community/threads/show-us-your-xf.4961/
4. They converted fine for me
5. Yes, see here: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/redirection-scripts-for-vbulletin-3-x.5030
6. Yes it has a feature specifically for that
7. I don't believe it has that specific feature, but it would be trivial to add if you post in the Addon Requests forum.

Thanks for the encouraging answers, particularly the "show-us-your-xf" links.

I see I'll be working to get my head around how to deal with 7 years of VBSEO URLs (yes, I've found plenty to read on that matter on this forum).

One other question: After clicking on a 20 or more sites on the "show us" list, I noticed that all of them feature two columns on the forum front (the main forum list and a sidebar with various blocks), but only a single column on the "inside" pages: post lists and the posts themselves. Are two-column displays on these pages not (yet) possible?

Top Bottom