Should developers have early access to Beta releases?

Sadly, we don't have any access. We'll receive access once its released. @Azhria Lilu, I'm going to update it and make sure you don't get access. :sneaky: Also, don't you just use License Validation of mine? Which is so basic it should work. lol

Sadly, we don't have any access. We'll receive access once its released. @Azhria Lilu, I'm going to update it and make sure you don't get access. :sneaky: Also, don't you just use License Validation of mine? Which is so basic it should work. lol

Yeah it really would be better to give developers access to the alpha version, since we'll have to basically rush updates once the beta goes public

Yeah it really would be better to give developers access to the alpha version, since we'll have to basically rush updates once the beta goes public

Although I agree, the definition of who would get access would become murky fast. Add-on developers shouldn't need to rush to updating their add-ons because users shouldn't be installing a beta on their site. Will that stop them? No. Will add-on developers release updates faster? Yes. Should they have to support 1.2 until it is out of beta / RC? No.

Although I agree, the definition of who would get access would become murky fast. Add-on developers shouldn't need to rush to updating their add-ons because users shouldn't be installing a beta on their site. Will that stop them? No. Will add-on developers release updates faster? Yes. Should they have to support 1.2 until it is out of beta / RC? No.

I would start by requiring at least x amount of addons with x amount of star ratings. It's nice for addon developers to have a head-start since there are people who wait on addons to be updated before they update XenForo.

I would start by requiring at least x amount of addons with x amount of star ratings. It's nice for addon developers to have a head-start since there are people who wait on addons to be updated before they update XenForo.

I agree their should be some type of way to get the major add-on developers here access. I don't agree with the star ratings though, those are a joke.

I agree their should be some type of way to get the major add-on developers here access. I don't agree with the star ratings though, those are a joke.

Yeah, it was just a quick example. I wouldn't care if it were decided purely by XenForo, Ltd. or voted by the community. I just think it would be something beneficial to us all if major addon developers had early access.

Yeah, it was just a quick example. I wouldn't care if it were decided purely by XenForo, Ltd. or voted by the community. I just think it would be something beneficial to us all if major addon developers had early access.

Agree.

Even the idea of KAM/Moderators getting together, nominating 5-8 individuals, then of that group, they can vote in say 5-7 more.

Total around to 10-15 developers. Those who have released and maintain their products nicely and continue to support the community. Dunno, just seems as though something could be done in that aspect.

That more or less happened with the RM and there were some grumbles, understandably.

A limited closed beta can be a good idea - it's not always a good idea to have a large group involved.

I would agree, if xenforo 1.2 wouldn't have so many changes.

It will need some time to locate the addon bugs and release bugfix releases.

And don't forget all the new features (can't wait to include the edit history and template merge system into some addons and don't forget xen:callback and the change to the route code for the custom indexpage (which is a big problem for simpleportal ATM)

That's why i'm not sure if all supported addons will be ready once 1.2 gold is here:)

Last edited by a moderator:
That more or less happened with the RM and there were some grumbles, understandably.

A limited closed beta can be a good idea - it's not always a good idea to have a large group involved.

In my opinion, let there be grumbles. We can never please everyone. A limited, closed, beta can definitely be a good idea.

And if they then make changes ... ?

Anything they might change during alpha pales in comparison to the work involved in handling the removal of tinymce as well as figuring out some way of using the new TMS-equivalent system while maintaining backwards compatibility, among other things

If you don't do it you're ensuring fairness such that everyone receives their copy at the same time. If you do, you're in the dilemma of selecting the addons worthy of being updated and effectively kicking down the other smaller addon developers who feel insignificant.

But, of course, there is the positive that the addons are updated quicker allowing more people to upgrade quicker.

Addon developers shouldn't support beta software, just as XenForo does not.

I would agree, if xenforo 1.2 wouldn't have so many changes.

It will need some time to locate the addon bugs and release bugfix releases.

And don't forget all the new features (can't wait to include the edit history and thread merge system into some addons and don't forget xen:callback and the change to the route code for the custom indexpage (which is a big problem for simpleportal ATM)

That's why i'm not sure if all supported addons will be ready once 1.2 gold is here:)

Understandably. I feel that the majority of add-ons will be ready tho, with the developers that are maintaining them. But still, its not suggested to run Beta on production sites, so having a pre-release of a beta so developers can attempt to update early isn't required. The beta process should be the developers upgrading and updating add-ons for 1.2.

Top Bottom