Should developers have early access to Beta releases?

You talk as if you expect to run a beta release in production. Which is the whole flaw in your arguement.

Eh? I first learned about XenForo on Milepoint.com, a board now with almost 2M posts that was launched in Nov 2010 when the latest announced release was 1.0.0 Beta 3.

1) Development - Not suitable for end user live deployment
3) Internal alpha test - [SIZE=+0]Not suitable for end user live deployment[/SIZE]
4) Wider closed alpha/beta test - [SIZE=+0]Not suitable for end user live deployment (A few people get to update a small number of addons, and an even larger group of people get annoyed they wenrn't chosen to be part of said test)[/SIZE]
5) Public install at XenForo.com. - [SIZE=+0]Not suitable for end user live deployment[/SIZE]
6) Public availability beta test - [SIZE=+0]Not suitable for end user live deployment (everyone gets to test their addons and fix them)[/SIZE]
7) Release - [SIZE=+0]Ready for end user live deployment[/SIZE]

Let me re-arange that for you a little with some notes... and see how things differ.

1) Development - [SIZE=+0]Not suitable for end user live deployment[/SIZE]
3) Internal alpha test - [SIZE=+0]Not suitable for end user live deployment[/SIZE]
5) Public install at XenForo.com. -[SIZE=+0] [SIZE=+0]Not suitable for end user live deployment[/SIZE][/SIZE]
6) Public availability beta test - [SIZE=+0]Not suitable for end user live deployment [SIZE=+0](everyone gets to test their addons and fix them)[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Thats the difference.... at the end of the day no?

4) Wider alpha/beta test (to include a range of service providers, developers and forum admins. Doesn't matter who. Names out of a hat would make it fair)

I love this whole idea @Chris Deeming except for that, names shouldn't be from a hat. Really at that stage it's not about fairness but rather hand picking the people with ability to search and find bugs, break things and report them correctly. Choosing from a hat, you can get people who don't even ever install it to test it.

If it's not broke, why fix it?

@Kier @Ashley and @Mike have always preferred to keep everyone in the process -vs- having a closed inner circle. It's what has made XenForo such a success and continues to make it an easy development to follow along with.

Because all customers are treated equally when development and releases are concerned. :)

I agree, but my concern would be slowing down the releases to the rest of us. If they can draw more people into the internal release & installation testing without slowing it down, I'm fine with that, and add-on developers are a logical group to pull from. I'd also expect such participants to be hand-picked, nothing "fair & impartial" about it.

Really at that stage it's not about fairness but rather choosing people with ability to search and find bugs, break things and report them correctly.

Surely add-on developers would be primarily interested in updating their own add-ons?

In which case, regular large forum owners running default installs would be a better choice?

Thanks for the incredibly patronising post, Slavik.

Not sure why it was called for. Was merely making a suggestion no?

Just making a point that a lot of people can't or don't want to grasp...

The only thing I can see having a closed beta doing is causing people to moan and cry about it (just look what happened with the closed RM beta).

I mean, let me ask you straight up. Lets say you got beta access right now, what benefit does that provide, that you can't do in the public beta?

Surely add-on developers would be primarily interested in updating their own add-ons?

In which case, regular large forum owners running default installs would be a better choice?

I never said that. I said those chosen, should be hand picked with knowledge to find and report bugs, not just some random John Doe with a draw from a hat.

Although I agree with this statement, I think a combination of the two would be 'ideal' in that situation. No offense to anyone, but in my work I've always found bug reports coming from other developers to be more helpful than non-developers most of the time (this is happening as I write this with some bug reports I'm receiving). Not to say that normal users can't report good reports, because I've received some fantastic reports that way. (y)

The only thing I can see having a closed beta doing is causing people to moan and cry about it (just look what happened with the closed RM beta).

I think the moaning was more over some using the closed RM beta on production sites then being picked or not. IMO doing a closed beta like that should simply have a NDA.

If I got beta 1.2 right now it would provide absolutely zero benefit as public availability probably isn't more than a week away.

If a group of testers got hold of it before it was installed here, however, that would have meant a lot less bugs being discovered in public and potentially it getting the polish it has now (that it didn't on the 3rd of June) in private testing which would ultimately have made the public install and testing and release all the more a quality product.

Let me re-arange that for you a little with some notes... and see how things differ.

1) Development - [SIZE=+0]Not suitable for end user live deployment[/SIZE]
5) Public install at XenForo.com. -[SIZE=+0] [SIZE=+0]Not suitable for end user live deployment[/SIZE][/SIZE]
6) Public availability beta test - [SIZE=+0]Not suitable for end user live deployment [SIZE=+0](everyone gets to test their addons and fix them)[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Thats the difference.... at the end of the day no?

Doesn't match the reality of most environments I've worked in. We used to run a production timesharing system on a pair of CDC mainframes (4 CPUs total) 6 a.m to 10 p.m. At 10 p.m. we kicked everyone off, reloaded with OUR software, and ran alpha/beta/really wobbly until 6 a.m. with the same users & file system. It was an extremely productive environment. If we screwed up too badly, well, that's why we had ops & backups.

For reasons of legal liability, I don't see XF pushing betas as a production platform. At the same time, if you want to the most out of the beta cycles, that is exactly what needs to happen: Real testing requires real users who find real issues by creating real-life situations with real software running on real systems. Note the word "real" -- it matters.

That's exactly the system I've always used in my personal development as well as both my development jobs. "Real" is a term of debate within the software world, where as I'm a real user when I'm developing and testing my own software.

Things seem to be working great here. Unless you think how vb are doing it is better???? Which honestly a heap of the suggestions above is how vb do it. Why change what is working. A beta is a beta, lets not forget that just because we trust the XF quality.

Things seem to be working great here. Unless you think how vb are doing it is better???? Which honestly a heap of the suggestions above is how vb do it. Why change what is working. A beta is a beta, lets not forget that just because we trust the XF quality.

vB can have all the open testing in the world and it wouldn't make a difference because it stops at management. This is very different. This is also more about allowing addon developers to catch up their addons before the majority of users upgrade.

vB can have all the open testing in the world and it wouldn't make a difference because it stops at management. This is very different. This is also more about allowing addon developers to catch up their addons before the majority of users upgrade.

The majority of users won't upgrade during a beta.

Although I agree, the definition of who would get access would become murky fast. Add-on developers shouldn't need to rush to updating their add-ons because users shouldn't be installing a beta on their site.

Exactly. The beta/RC cycle should be long enough that developers can tweak their products to work on 1.2. And especially in the RC stage, I'm pretty sure 1.2 will be "feature frozen" and it will be down to only minor bug fixes.

Having said that, I'd take 1.2 yesterday if it were released...and I'm not even a developer. :D

Top Bottom