Shipping help please

Slavik

XenForo moderator
Staff member
I need to get a relatively large package from the US to the UK.

The box is 28lbs (13kb) and the dimensions are 57*12*9 (inches).

I've been quoted about $280 for the shipping, which is a bit rediculous.

I don't suppose anyone knows a good service to get this cheaply from the US to the UK. Don't mind waiting so speed isn't an issue.

Cheers

I need to get a relatively large package from the US to the UK.

The box is 28lbs (13kb) and the dimensions are 57*12*9 (inches).

I've been quoted about $280 for the shipping, which is a bit rediculous.

I don't suppose anyone knows a good service to get this cheaply from the US to the UK. Don't mind waiting so speed isn't an issue.

Cheers
geez what are you shipping a bumper? *not my business just saying lol*

From here in south cali via USPS it'd be $120 under those exact terms
http://ircalc.usps.com/MailServices.aspx?country=10150&m=7&p=28&o=0&l=57&w=9&h=12&g=0&r=True

I imagine they're using something like UPS?

geez what are you shipping a bumper? *not my business just saying lol*

From here in south cali via USPS it'd be $120 under those exact terms
http://ircalc.usps.com/MailServices.aspx?country=10150&m=7&p=28&o=0&l=57&w=9&h=12&g=0&r=True

I imagine they're using something like UPS?

Likely... or even FedEx. And I am certain that they have added a "small" fee on top of that as well.

Most places that do tons of shipping get a discount as it is. Then they just add a few on top, still charge less than you would pay if you went elsewhere to ship it.

I once shipped a 135lb motor from WV to South Korea, via FedEx... it cost me $150 (roughly)
Also shipped some energy drinks (don't ask) from WV to somewhere in the UK, cost me approx $48 or so.... (still close to about 30 lbs of drinks)

Yeah I would not pay more than $150. I ship way more sauces to the UK for less lmao.
It's just UPS is better with fragile objects (in my experience)

USPS has been a lot better lately. You might also have to pay customs... I'm not sure about it. I usually send everything as gift.

Uh, for security and liability reasons, I'd NOT go with UPS. They just leave your package at the door.

FedEx or USPS will give you a notice of receiving if you're not there. Otherwise, all you need to do is sign the paper, and it's yours.

Uh, for security and liability reasons, I'd NOT go with UPS. They just leave your package at the door.

FedEx or USPS will give you a notice of receiving if you're not there. Otherwise, all you need to do is sign the paper, and it's yours.
For the reason you said you wouldn't use UPS is the reason why I would not use FedEX.

• FedEx has left things at the door
  • FedEx has left things at the wrong door.
Love UPS
Like USPS, but dislike their tracking system

You may have to pay an import tax to HMCE - we used to buy weather-proof stock labels from America (saved £5,000 per bulk order over the U.K. manufactured ones!!!) but there was always a few hundred pounds import tax we had to pay when the goods arrived.

The stock tag manufacturer shipped everything through UPS so it may be the case that other shippers do/don't manage the import tax and possibly leave it to chance?

I have found the Post Office the cheapest and easiest to deal with customs.
As far as damage goes I've had more stuff come in damaged by UPS.
Can't think of when the last thing was damaged from FedEx.
I get UPS deliveries everyday.
I ship FedEx almost everyday unless the package is less than several pounds.
Then no one beats the US Post Office.
I calculated the Post Office at $119.75.

Opps. Noticed the same price in post 2.

For the reason you said you wouldn't use UPS is the reason why I would not use FedEX.

• FedEx has left things at the door
  • FedEx has left things at the wrong door.
Love UPS
Like USPS, but dislike their tracking system
In my experience, I've had FedEx come to my door and have me or my family sign the package. :confused:
Enough said about Fed Ex

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
There was a news piece where the company apologized for that incident, and refunded the person for the damages.

There was a news piece where the company apologized for that incident, and refunded the person for the damages.

Ha! Still didn't stop that driver tossing it over the wall beforehand though. Bet he got sacked as well.

Ha! Still didn't stop that driver tossing it over the wall beforehand though. Bet he got sacked as well.
To be honest though, what do you do in a situation where the house is gated? Where I live all the neighbor hoods are gated but the houses themselves have open driveways.

Top Bottom