Sharing Facebook Accounts With Your Spouse

If they trust you, they can have your passwords and not need to check them.

The ones that say if you don't trust me...they say trust is earned. If someone new wants to check your facebook, texts and emails they they been through enough that they now have trust issues. Have fun with that relationship. o_O

James

Very big assumption. I ride a motorcycle (also known as a donor cycle - so you can see where this is going). If I ever get crunched on the bike it'd be nice for her to be able to do a shout out to my friends on FaceBook to let them know. Same way with my email, etc.
The point was that you should have enough trust in the other that you don't worry/think about it. If you are worrying/thinking about it - then there is not full trust there.

That doesn't really refute what I said.

The opposite could equally be as true, as well. My wife and I trust each other enough to where the thought of sharing passwords to personal accounts, such as Facebook, hasn't even occurred to us. Sure, there's practical purposes for sharing passwords, as you pointed out, and that's why we do share passwords to things like bank accounts and Netflix. It's not to show trust, though there is implicit trust in doing so, but rather it makes doing some things vastly more convenient.

The assumption is based on seeing a few friends burned by vindictive ex's who had access to their social networking and email accounts. Someone shouldn't need to prove their trust in someone by sharing passwords. If you're having to prove it, chances are there isn't a strong foundation of trust in the relationship to begin with, and such access will only make things worse.

That said, I'd share my Facebook with my wife if she asked, but neither of us feels the need to, even if we'd never use it. It's a non-issue for us. I can respect the fact, some feel they should share everything in marriage, that's cool too.

T
That said, I'd share my Facebook with my wife if she asked, but neither of us feels the need to, even if we'd never use it. It's a non-issue for us. I can respect the fact, some feel they should share everything in marriage, that's cool too.
I think we are basically saying the same thing, just from different angles. I let my wife know mine not due to trust - but because there may be a need for them. There's never anything there that I'd worry about her seeing - and she's not worried about having to check it to see if there is and vice-versa. :D

My wife knows all my info and I know hers :) We don't invade space at all. There's been a few times where I ask her to get on for me to read something or vice versa but it's no big deal and that's why we know each others' passwords.

The only time I've known this to be a big deal was when there was honest to god trust issue between the couple.

As Tracy Perry brought up the tragic event possibility - I had a buddy who died in a car wreck. His girl moved up there with him and was going to finish school while he pursued his new job.
The first thing she did after hearing about the accident was login to his account and post about the news. Thereafter she was able to gather all the families contact info. For the life of me, I'm not sure why or how she didn't already have the my buddy's mom's number, but she didn't and facebook helped. There's the times you make friends on forums who don't have numbers but they're close enough to tell them you passed. That's another thing it's good for.

Some people see sharing as the first trust issue, but it can be more than that. I don't login to my wife's account unless she asks me and vice versa. We just know it for convenience and just in case situations.

The assumption is based on seeing a few friends burned by vindictive ex's who had access to their social networking and email accounts.

Wouldn't the smart move after getting a divorce, if you're been sharing passwords, be to change all of your passwords?

The question of trust isn't if they can log into your accounts. It comes in at, "do they feel a need to?". My fiance and I have been together for years. We both could log into each other's facebook, email, etc if we needed to simply because we both use the same computer(s) and we have nothing to hide so our passwords are saved. The difference is I'd be shocked if I ever caught her on my facebook looking at my messages or anything. I'm sure she would be also. We'd probably be offended, not because we're worried about something being seen but because it shows a lack of trust.

This is a very different situation than those couples that literally share a facebook like "John and Jane Doe" because they don't trust each other enough to have their own individually.

the John and Jane Doe annoys me lmao. I have a friend like that, not because of the trust issue but because the John doesn't do technology and jane is our gateway to him.

He sometimes responds and you just don't know who is talking... I like knowing who I'm talking to directly, though I know it's the Jane most of the time.

I DO now know the obsessive sort who have made those accounts purposely to keep tabs, but they pretty much split up after a year or two.

Wouldn't the smart move after getting a divorce, if you're been sharing passwords, be to change all of your passwords?

The smart thing would be not to wait until after the divorce. I haven't been through a divorce, but I'd wager that changing my passwords on a dozen or so different services wouldn't be the first thing that pops to mind.

The smart thing would be not to wait until after the divorce. I haven't been through a divorce, but I'd wager that changing my passwords on a dozen or so different services wouldn't be the first thing that pops to mind.
After almost 28 years of marriage (and reaching retirement area now) we don't plan on the D word... just the F word (FUN!). We earned it. :cool:

the John and Jane Doe annoys me lmao. I have a friend like that, not because of the trust issue but because the John doesn't do technology and jane is our gateway to him.

He sometimes responds and you just don't know who is talking... I like knowing who I'm talking to directly, though I know it's the Jane most of the time.

I DO now know the obsessive sort who have made those accounts purposely to keep tabs, but they pretty much split up after a year or two.

I have a buddy I served with in the Navy who has a joint account with his wife. I found the whole not knowing who was really posting thing irritating as well. After a lot of pestering, we've finally gotten them to start signing their posts with their initials.

After almost 28 years of marriage (and reaching retirement area now) we don't plan on the D word... just the F word (FUN!). We earned it. :cool:

That's awesome!

A member told me that her boyfriend has logged into her FB account and she's wondering why he's doing that. She said he's been telling guys "hi I'm so and so's boyfriend, I logged on accident" to almost every guy that messages her. He's doing it on purpose and she wants to know why he's doing it. I told her he's just marking his territory but to be on the safe side and for privacy, you shouldn't allow anyone to share your FB account.

Do any of you share your FB account with your spouses and if so, why?

If my boyfriend did this crap he wouldn't be my boyfriend anymore.

I have a buddy I served with in the Navy who has a joint account with his wife. I found the whole not knowing who was really posting thing irritating as well. After a lot of pestering, we've finally gotten them to start signing their posts with their initials.

That's awesome!
Signing JD or JD doesn't really help ;p (john doe, Jane doe)

Top Bottom