Shared Hosting

VanHuek

Hello,

I am using siteground hosting and was alerted the other day that I was overusing my CPU and php executions and run a forums and a website, and have been forced to upgrade my siteground hosting.

What I can't work out is why this is being overused: we have 124 members and maximum 16 online Dev.viridimilitis.com and the main website is a simple one page landing page.

I have since enabled cloudflare but am wondering if there are any other solutions to improve this as it suddenly spiked? I have also disabled the steam integration I added and all other subdomains, very small sites and very few bots come to my site in aw stats.

We're a very small project and can't afford expensive hosting and I was told the simple hosting would be enough but not have to pay $5 more.

Are there any solutions? To reduce php executions and CPU usage.

Additionally I am on 1.10- I believe 1.15 has been released, will this help- was going to wait until 1.2 to update? and the responsive design edit seems to not work.

Additionally I am on 1.10- I believe 1.15 has been released, will this help- was going to wait until 1.2 to update? and the responsive design edit seems to not work.

How small a VPS, and how busy is CometChat (and are you offloading it to their server?).
Lots of variables there that you failed to mention (like CometChat).

More then likely CometChat is your issue, Try disabling it and see if the high loads continue in 20 minutes.

How small a VPS, and how busy is CometChat (and are you offloading it to their server?).
Lots of variables there that you failed to mention (like CometChat).

Will try uninstall cometchat, hadn't really thought about that and we hardly use it. In terms of server size I get 20800 CPU something seconds or similar per 24 hours, not sure of the unit.

More then likely CometChat is your issue, Try disabling it and see if the high loads continue in 20 minutes.

Certainly will do, what is the best way to check server load?

Looking at bandwidth cometchat uses very little but I assume that doesn't really account for CPU. Apparently there may be some code loop that is according high account executions. Would you know anything about that?

I do know its not the greatest website nor forums :P

In cPanel on the left side you should see CPU and memory usage.

That doesn't exist in all cPanel setups. If the host is using Cloudlinux or something similar, it might be there, but many hosts with custom systems just keep it on the back end. No idea what siteground does.

If you don't see it there, you're just going to have to ask them. They will probably want to give it 24 hours or such to get an average usage.

Removed cometchat then they message me to say that I've been exceeding account executions from

upload_2013-6-7_23-34-37.webp

21110 /home/viridimi/public_html/dev/index.php
5082 /home/viridimi/public_html/dev/cometchat/cometchat_receive.php

So I have uninstalled cometchat but are there any further ways that I can reduce the account executions? As account executions seems my main problem but will be interesting to see, once my account is back what cometchat lowers it by.

Last edited:
yet your last 2 hours are both 0/xxxx Compared to what they were over the last 24 hours should prove your making effort.

Is that all you have set up on your account...cometchat and the forum?

When you click on that graph or such, is there anything that tells you what processes are using the CPU?

Is that all you have set up on your account...cometchat and the forum?

When you click on that graph or such, is there anything that tells you what processes are using the CPU?

Just the forums now and the main site.

Completely unacceptable. I don't know what more to tell you honestly. Just visited your forum and main site and there is no way that should ever be using the kinds of resources they claim you are using. I don't know what more you could possibly disable.

Since it's CPU usage they are claiming you're abusing, are you running a bunch of CRONs or anything...perhaps through XF? That would potentially increase the usage.

Completely unacceptable. I don't know what more to tell you honestly. Just visited your forum and main site and there is no way that should ever be using the kinds of resources they claim you are using. I don't know what more you could possibly disable.

Since it's CPU usage they are claiming you're abusing, are you running a bunch of CRONs or anything...perhaps through XF? That would potentially increase the usage.

upload_2013-6-8_0-19-22.webp

Should I remove some?

Attachments

• upload_2013-6-8_0-19-19.webp
    upload_2013-6-8_0-19-19.webp
    41.1 KB · Views: 1
Change hosts.

We don't have much money with which to do that. I do have a VPS:

<VanHuek> I get 2*2.0Ghz shared CPU
<VanHuek> 640 MB RAM
<VanHuek> 640 MB of swap space
<VanHuek> 24576 MB HDD Storage