Share your Xenforo forum tips here

Bevypoo

I'm interesting in knowing other xenForo users forum registered member count. Also add-ons/features or best practices on your forum you feel have helped to contribute to keeping your members coming back and being engaged in your forums.

Also add-ons/features or best practices on your forum you feel have helped to contribute to keeping your members coming back and being engaged in your forums.
One of the biggest tips I can give is to quote people.
That little alert works wonders ;)

Oh and Likes too :)

yes but only from the same page we currently have 537,103 registered memebers. Our threads move fast and alot of times my moderators and admins need to quote more then whats on page one :)

Quote than copy and paster I guess :ROFLMAO: (but yea I never thought of it like that)

Quote than copy and paster I guess :ROFLMAO: (but yea I never thought of it like that)

:LOL: they have just been spoiled with having this feature currently they will complain a little bit but they will adjust ..hopefully its something they come out with eventually. When one of our games go down we suddenly get a load of users saying the exact same thing in a thread and if you only quote one of them the rest ask why you never answered them ..

Not specific to XF but posting interesting things as admin makes a huge difference. People today love news, gossip, information, so go look for it and post it on your forums!

[reply to multi-quote] I can't imagine it being that hard to write the contents to a cookie as well as embedding them into the textarea. Though, of course, the cookie should only be activated on page 2 because putting the posts in a cookie if you're only using 1 page is pretty redundant!

Make good use of the alert system, use likes as appropriate and, like Paul said, quote people!

Another tip I forgot to mention is to create a trophy with a value of 0 days.
Any new members are then awarded a trophy before doing anything (once the cron task has run), which has the effect of introducing them to the alerts and trophy features simultaneously.

trophy.webp

yes but only from the same page we currently have 537,103 registered memebers. Our threads move fast and alot of times my moderators and admins need to quote more then whats on page one :)

Since you have these many members, I would suggest first make a working demo for them. Show them what the new site will be like, ask them for suggestions, feedback. Do a "Have you seen..." kinda thing. Get People excited and make them anticipate the change, that way most people would finally be happy. (Got to learn the anticipation trick from how Apple brainwashes their customers... ;) )

Another tip I forgot to mention is to create a trophy with a value of 0 days.
Any new members are then awarded a trophy before doing anything (once the cron task has run), which has the effect of introducing them to the alerts and trophy features simultaneously.

This is a great idea love this. Good way to introduce them to the Trophy system as you said. We currently have a user title reward system that goes by posts they have. This morning one of my tasks is figuring out how to implement that into the Xenforo software:) Also have ability for a reputation points system but last year it was disabled due to it being abused by people. Hoping the trophy system works out better.

I just realized there is no way for myself or the Community admins to track moderators history. (Unless I'm missing it) We need to be able to see if a post was deleted or edited by one of our moderators which moderator performed this action and a history of the changes. With the amount of moderators we have on our boards and them being volunteers this is vital for managing them. Any ideas or suggestions?

Post edit history isn't available at the moment.
It has been suggested though and there may even be an add-on for it, I'm not sure.

Post edit history isn't available at the moment.
It has been suggested though and there may even be an add-on for it, I'm not sure.

Thanks I can now post in the member forums I did search for this feature and cannot find it, should I start a thread :)

Top Bottom