XF 2.2 Share links show XF app?

Alvin63

With the share links on my forum - when clicked on, why do they show the Xenforo app for posting on connected accounts?

Appearance > Styles > Your style > Style proprietis

Modife url: Metadata logo URL

By default that url refers to that xenforo image and so when you try to share a post on social it shows you that...

I don't understand why there is that image set by default that has nothing to do with it...
I'm using a pixel exit style - can't see a Modlife url?

I've made my icons maskable and ticked the box. No change on the mobile menu as yet - "Install the app" still leads to the Xenforo app. But it did say it could take 24 hours to change.
If it's linking to xenforo.com then you have other issues present. It should link to the Board URL you have set.
Link to your site so we can check please.

Yes it's in Style Properties - basic options. Metada url. Nothing in there. Assume I need to make one. Is it just a logo of a particular size?
It's simply a logo that you want (by default) displayed for any shared data.. as an example.. this is mine.

mini-logo-og.webp

I think (don't remember for sure) but I did mine at 512x512 pixels.

Installed a metadata logo and that has fixed the sharing link - it now shows my logo instead of the Xenforo one. I saw another post where it said to do it 200x200. Does that sound about right?

However it hasn't affected the "Install App" issue in the mobile menu. That still leads to Xenforo app installation.

it now shows my logo instead of the Xenforo one.
BIG difference between showing a XenForo image on the screen for PWA.. and a XenForo URL for the PWA creation. ;)
Yes, you HAVE to set up a custom image for the MetaData... otherwise it's simply going to show the default for the script... nothing unusual there.
No different than if you use the "default" XenForo style and do not modify it any.. it shows Xenforo for the logo, not something specific to your site.

Most users use their mobiles and will see "Install the app" and wonder why the app ins
That was my very first response in this thread.
Thanks Brogan. Yes I thought it meant by using an addon and then got talking about the "Install App" issue on mobile menu. That is still the same. Maybe it'll change in 24 hours?

There is no "fixed" recommendation honestly.. XF may have a suggestion.. but there are many others that suggest different.
For a square image... 1200x1200 (and optimize it).
Facebook's recommendation will be different from Twitter, which will be different from PInterest.
I personally use 512x512.
On some "high def" screens... it does look lacking.. but target the majority not the minority.

Oh this is no good at all. It's messed up all my favicons! Instead of the favicon there is now a mini unreadable logo. My favicon was uploaded to the server directly. So this would be the metadata logo then, not the PWA logos?

Changed the PWA logos to larger favicons. Still haven't got my favicon back yet though. I've followed the instructions on "Install App" to save the site to screen so it looks like an app/icon but just opens the website, is that right? So it's a shortcut?

I think I get the app thing now. I added the sites to my phone screen and the "install app" has gone away from the mobile menu now. And when it's there, it's showing the XF site as a demonstration on how to save the site to the home screen as an "app". It still looks confusing, for anyone who doesn't know, as it looks like it's asking you to install the Xenforo app.

The favicon was only messed up on one site, so I've re uploaded it and presumably it will change at some point. Still not sure if that was due to the meta logo or the PWA logos.

BTW, on my Mac Mini, it actually also installed a link into my applications menu.

View attachment 288018

When I click on it, I get this

View attachment 288019

That's actually displayed in a browser but you don't see all the browser baggage like an address bar, navigation arrows, menu or anything like that which you normally see in a regular browser incidence.
I see - it's not just a shortcut then. No browser baggage :-)

Oh this is no good at all. It's messed up all my favicons! Instead of the favicon there is now a mini unreadable logo. My favicon was uploaded to the server directly. So this would be the metadata logo then, not the PWA logos?
These need to be different.... one for your MetaData and one for a different favicon
Metadata logo URL
Favicon URL (32x32)
If they are the same.. that is your issue.
It's also slow to change at times.

Top Bottom