XF 1.5 Setting member list to include custom user field

Hi guys

I am currently running one of my licenses as a closed community amongst colleagues, with no access for outsiders.
We have just switched over from an old phpBB version (3.0.12). Importing went fine, with the only problems caused by my hosting provider, but they could all be solved easily.
We have used our employee IDs as username. In the old forum we had the full name displayed in the member list as well, so that we don't have to memorize all the employee IDs when scrolling through that list.

Now: is there any way to make a custom user field (the full name) appear in the members list?

Apart from that I have managed to implement everything I wanted with the standard features or by referring to this board, so thanks guys.

Last edited:
Is there some reason you can't just change the usernames to the user's actual name instead of their employee number and put their employee number in a different field?

I am actually doing that as we speak. It has always been like that and some things are difficult to change without risking acceptance of the members. So I would have preferred to have it like descried above, but I have already started introducing that change.

Historically the reason is quite simple. The employee ID is something that everyone of us knows by heart, can enter in a second because be have to use it probably 50 to 100 times a day for all sorts of purposes. Names tend to be lengthy and we actually have the problem twice, that we have two colleagues with literally identical names. So the reason why this was chosen as a username was pure convenience.
As a company we are spread throughout Germany and even then we don't see each other all day long and generally no one knows everyone else. (We are a medium sized airline.) In order to ensure that no one but crew members can register we have always had the combination of employee ID, full name and company email address. When they match and the email address has been confirmed I grant access. When there is a discrepancy, I can also take action.
It also allows me to easily remove people who have resigned from the board.

In phpBB it was quite easy to have them all displayed in the member list. I prefer XenForo a lot, but there is always something that does not quite work right when you switch from one software to another. But thats simply the way life is and for me the important thing is, that I get a great software and a reliably way to migrate. Everything else is just cosmetics. And XenForo allowed me to do exactly that.

I am actually doing that as we speak. It has always been like that and some things are difficult to change without risking acceptance of the members.
there is always something that does not quite work right when you switch from one software to another.
We recently changed from vB4 to XF. It was a BIG job, since MANY of our users aren't computer literate. And the unavoidable changes that were obvious to most of us drove them nuts.

We recently changed from vB4 to XF. It was a BIG job, since MANY of our users aren't computer literate. And the unavoidable changes that were obvious to most of us drove them nuts.

Yeah, I understand these problems.

I actually enjoyed the doing the x-fer of the data. Even though its took quite some time until everything was just right, I could have let things run straight after the import.

The colleague who was running it until about a week ago just sent me the database, the avatars and attachments and the import was really smooth.
The only problems there were caused by my hosting provider and they were easy to solve by searching their help database and this forum.

All I had to do was clean up the user permissions in the nodes, the boards and clean up some old stuff to start with a clean slate and its running perfectly well.

I would say that flight crews are very well able to adjust to this, but the difference between being able to do something and actually accepting it can be rather large.

Top Bottom