Server Side Analytics

Slavik

XenForo moderator
Staff member
Can anyone reccomend some nice server side analytics program?

While awstats records everything... it is equally as useful as a brick when it comes to showing my advertisers the traffic I get... they like to see the nice charts that analytics gives as its what they are familiar with.

Analytics is good, but if the tracking code isn't on every page.. it misses things... as does Piwik.

I would like something that outputs the data like analytics or piwik... but I install it on my server and it will handle all domains and subdomains...

Oh yea.. and doesn't cost $8000 a year :D

I -love- Mint (http://haveamint.com).

It probably doesn't have everything you want, but creating peppermints (add-ons) is simple, and the community tends to fill requests if you know where to ask. I'm going to be working on a peppermint that'll integrate as much as possible into XenForo, and the modifications I'll use.

Mint, AWStats, Webalizer, Analog etc.

I wonder if people read the first post :rolleyes:

AFAIK Mint still has the flaws of missing pages without the code added. AWStats has the problems described in the first post as does Webalizer... analog hasn't been supported for 6 years?

Looks like I might be forking out for an urchin licence afterall

AFAIK Mint still has the flaws of missing pages without the code added. AWStats has the problems described in the first post as does Webalizer... analog hasn't been supported for 6 years?

I did read it, but the only other thing I could come up with is Urchin.

With the PIWIK API you can create custom outputs;)

We've coded a own page for our advertisers as a bridge to openx, which includes some nice stats we're getting from piwik ( keywords, ..)

If you own your own server, you can use .htaccess and the auto_prepend_file method.

That may be how I handle it in the future... depends if I can bite the bullet and justify the cost of urchin though.
.htaccess + auto_prepend_file work for Google Analytics, Mint, and any solution that requires you to add JS.

Unless the cost of Urchin is actually justified, it seems pointless to pay that much for something that you're less likely to make use of.

.htaccess + auto_prepend_file work for Google Analytics, Mint, and any solution that requires you to add JS.

Unless the cost of Urchin is actually justified, it seems pointless to pay that much for something that you're less likely to make use of.

Have big plans this year for expansion... so knowing if our up and coming "purchases" are what we expected will be beneficial.

In the mean time I may try a short term test of a month of loading up

Piwik, Mint, Woopra, GA, Clicky and Reinvigorate

via auto prepend and compare how they all handle the data. Ok it will increase load times marginally, but as long as it isn't drastic the test may be beneficial, im sure there are others wondering the same in whats best to use.

Have big plans this year for expansion... so knowing if our up and coming "purchases" are what we expected will be beneficial.

In the mean time I may try a short term test of a month of loading up

Piwik, Mint, Woopra, GA, Clicky and Reinvigorate

via auto prepend and compare how they all handle the data. Ok it will increase load times marginally, but as long as it isn't drastic the test may be beneficial, im sure there are others wondering the same in whats best to use.
I generally use GA and Mint in conjunction, as I can extend Mint how I want, and have it track things that GA can't track as easily.

Awstats and Weblizer are two of my favorites, Weblizer is better because it shows your month-to-month stats from the get-go, and then a detailed statistic of your visitor entrance. But I like awstats because they have even more detailed stats than weblizer, such as the list of countries - that part is my favorite. One thing that awstats does better is keywords - there's a page for full keyword, and single keyword; that's something I expected Google to be doing.

I don't know about anyone else, but I perfer awstats if I want to learn how many uniques is coming to my site(s). It tells you both on a month-to-month basis, AND day-to-day basis. I'm not saying that weblizer doesn't do it, its just that they do it poorly, I can't read the day-to-day stats via weblizer. That's just me, tho.

Oh, and I also agree with the notion that Google Analytics sucks for stats. It only reads entrance; not amount of readers on your RSS feed for example. [That is, unless you use that stupid feedburner.]

awstats and webalizer shows you the content of the access Log from your Webserver. Piwik and other logs many other things.

I -love- Mint (http://haveamint.com).

It probably doesn't have everything you want, but creating peppermints (add-ons) is simple, and the community tends to fill requests if you know where to ask. I'm going to be working on a peppermint that'll integrate as much as possible into XenForo, and the modifications I'll use.
i hope you will share that ;)

Top Bottom