Server recommendations?

FredC

I have no idea what im really talking about here but ill do my best anyway..
My current host is ok on the support side and the price is reasonable But im in need of more resources.. to be specific im short on RAM. (i think) I keep getting errors along the lines of "out of memory at bla bla bla tried to allocate bla bla bla but couldnt" or something along those lines.. When that happens i cant even log into my WHM Control Panel.. I am currently on a single core processor. (heard that was also "Stupid") what do i know? Im clueless on these things.
Current Specs:
Fully Managed
SAS RAID-10 Disk Space 60GB
Guaranteed Memory (RAM) 1.5GB
Premium Bandwidth 1500GB
CPU Cores 1 Core
IP Addresses 2 IP
I also have Cpanel installed..
im paying about $65.00 a month..
3 sites on this server totaling about 200avg to 300max concurrent users.. (1 vB4 suite 2 XF forums)

So the question here is where can i go for the same price fully managed with more resources (mainly RAM) and good support..

Did i miss anything?? im a total rookie when it comes to Servers..

I'd check out servint.net for managed. They are amazing. I'd still be with them but I decided I didn't need a managed server, and went with a much cheaper linode.

I'd check out servint.net for managed. They are amazing. I'd still be with them but I decided I didn't need a managed server, and went with a much cheaper linode.
Thanks im waiting on a phone call from sales @ ServInt.. But im more interested in what others think i need or am short on based off my current configuration.. that would help a ton when they call me back. ;) For example 1.5 gigs of ram seems to be sufficient but for what ever reason it isnt.. But again i really have no idea.) that extra 1/2 a gig of ram sure is a big jump in prices..

its the cpu that is the main concern here wether or not it actually suffice to support that number of users actually. and what kind of cpu core it is, is it logical or even virtual core?

its the cpu that is the main concern here wether or not it actually suffice to support that number of users actually. and what kind of cpu core it is, is it logical or even virtual core?
finally got logged into my VPS only took 4 hours.. anyways heres what i was able to come up with regarding the server specs.. (looks like i was mistaken on the RAM earlier.)

Capture_05172011_170208.webp
Capture_05172011_165904.webp

think its better to ask the company if the one you have now is a physical core or just virtual core(hyper threading)
im not sure if the pic of the memory usage is giving you right data for your vps plan, since it says the entire server itself got 1000gb ram on the server. and available ram usage is 262gb

on your ssh type this command
cat /proc/meminfo

let us know the result
also to avoid any memory error msg have you installed memcache?

to be specific im short on RAM. (i think) I keep getting errors along the lines of "out of memory at bla bla bla tried to allocate bla bla bla but couldnt" or something along those lines..

That's an issue with PHP's memory_limit setting being set too low, not a lack of RAM.

If you are finding yourself short of RAM, consider dropping cpanel and apache in favour of nginx and php-fpm, which should handle several times as many concurrent users. Don't just throw more hardware at the problem.

Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 2883584) (tried to allocate 56617 bytes) in /******/*******/*******/library/Zend/Db/Statement/Mysqli.php on line 294

There is the average error message.

If you are finding yourself short of RAM, consider dropping cpanel and apache in favour of nginx and php-fpm, which should handle several times as many concurrent users. Don't just throw more hardware at the problem.
I think this may or may not be the way to go. On a managed VPS they may or may not support nginx and php-fpm. If they don't support it and the admin has to implement those himself then it may be a better option to just get more RAM and not deal with a "managed VPS" that you have to manage yourself after all. Alternatively drop the managed VPS and go linode where you can probably get more RAM for the same amount and can then install nginx etc.

Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 2883584) (tried to allocate 56617 bytes) in /******/*******/*******/library/Zend/Db/Statement/Mysqli.php on line 294

There is the average error message.
They don't call it a managed VPS for nothing, have your host sort it out. ;)
Let's name names here, who's the host? Let's make sure you are actually getting the memory you are paying for and that they don't have a history of saying one thing and doing another.

As far as host recommendations, if you can handle unmanaged (which it doesn't really sound like you can) then linode and/or fdcservers.net (unlimited bandwidth is a major selling point). If you want a different managed host I can recommend Liquidweb (they are not cheap but there is 24/7 North American Level 3 phone support, and they will actually fix memory issues and help you optimize your settings as they know what needs to be done).

They don't call it a managed VPS for nothing, have your host sort it out. ;)
Well apparently my host does.. They are friendly enough but never answer ticket questions.. ever!!! Anyway the host is Ultra VPS.. and im determined to get away from them.. Its been a nightmare from day one.. I probably dont have sufficient resources.. But then youd also think they would tell me if that was the case since i have had to submit tickets to restart my service on a daily basis in the past.. For whatever reasons when this happens i cannot even log into my WHM CP to do it myself.. I ask about resources they tell me to look it up in my CP.. % hours worth of back and forth ticket support yesterday just so i could get a handle on the server specs.. There is no way i could handle an unmanaged server on my own.. I just want to set it and forget it. Im trying to contact ServInt i like the prices and the recommendations are abundant but for what ever reasons i cant get a reply from my inquiries through their sales department.. I have to admit thats already concerning me a little.. Usually service goes out the window after you sign the dotted line.. not before.

You can get those memory errors even in a server which has 16gb ram.

First open /libary/xenforo/Application.php and remove the line: @ini_set('memory_limit', 128 * 1024 * 1024);

If you still get the same error increase the memory limit in php.ini and restart apache.

I'd second the Servint recommendation... their tech support is superb and private forum a close second.. they would have your technical issues resolved in a day.
I've been a customer for 4+ year so I haven't dealt with their sales team for a long while.. strange that they haven't got back to yet.. hopefully soon.

Top Bottom