Server load?

ApexLee

I've been impressed (like many others) with the style and feature set of XenForo and contemplating purchasing it in the 24 hour sale period. However, I haven't found any information from the developers regarding server performance compared to vB or IPB on the same or similar forum setup.

Has this been done? Are we expecting XenForo to use less server resources? I currently have an IPB license and would be interested in moving to XenForo if it is lighter on my server.

I know this maybe a premature topic due to only staff having ran tests... :p

Yes I think many of us are wondering the same thing.

While xenForo is a modern piece of software, it does possess features (alerts, customized news feeds) that seem like they could be resource hogs.

It's probably hard to quantify based on other forum software, but how about a guess (say compared to a vBulletin powered board with similar post count and activity).

And a good question is if it can be split across multiple servers for those of us with large forums to help divide up the load, i.e., an image server, a php server, a db server and finally an attachment server (oh I would so love the last one).

Yes I think many of us are wondering the same thing.

While xenForo is a modern piece of software, it does possess features (alerts, customized news feeds) that seem like they could be resource hogs.

It's probably hard to quantify based on other forum software, but how about a guess (say compared to a vBulletin powered board with similar post count and activity).
I'm pretty sure this has been tested by the devs in a stress test already. XF is also already running on a big board owned by one of the devs without problems. Problems could still arise of course, but I wouldn't expect big issues regarding this subject :)

Personally, I'm anticipating it'll actually hog some less resources than vB/IPB (unmodded that is); the backend is far more modern than vB's & it has less bloat than both IPB & vB feature-wise.
At the very least though, I think it's fair to say Mike & Kier know what they're doing, if there were massive resource-using-issues they'd have fixed them by now.

And a good question is if it can be split across multiple servers for those of us with large forums to help divide up the load, i.e., an image server, a php server, a db server and finally an attachment server (oh I would so love the last one).
Xenforo y'mean? Sure it can be done, as with any other forum software/CMS/etc, though it'd need some expertise. Provided you have 4 servers, I don't see why you can't spread stuff out over them. Maybe I'm not understanding the question though :p

i am actually hoping that it is less stressful on the server compared to vBulletin.

that would help me out with my server load that is already causing a problem.

in fact, on vB... i am simply not able to view the who's online page. it simply times out.

i am actually hoping that it is less stressful on the server compared to vBulletin.

that would help me out with my server load that is already causing a problem.

in fact, on vB... i am simply not able to view the who's online page. it simply times out.
I was wondering if I was alone in this. Having that issue for years and never found out why this is. There's something very wrong with that page in vB, it's way too heavy to load.

yeap. they did something in some version of vb3 i suppose and it just does not work for me anymore. i guess it run too many queries and it ends up crashing. the same section on XF loads pretty fast and is pretty usable.

i just tested my server configuration using the test script provided by developers. i am all set if i am trust that script. :D though no one can predict how it would run with my existing forum's data migrated.

I hope to see a support for CDN and caching modules...but i think XF it's lighter than vb. :-)

[OT] Operamaniac, you have 8k guest with vbseo...that is normal to have a huge server load... You can use an addon like vboptimize or LBCache to cache threads for guest.[/OT]

I hope to see a support for CDN and caching modules...but i think XF it's lighter than vb. :)

[OT] Operamaniac, you have 8k guest with vbseo...that is normal to have a huge server load... You can use an addon like vboptimize or LBCache to cache threads for guest.[/OT]

that has been a problem for me somewhat. vbseo has support for four caching technologies. it shows:

memcached Unsupported
APC Cache Unsupported
XCache Unsupported
eAccelerator Unsupported

my server does have APC Cache support. i confirmed from the web hosting guy. i have been confused about how to fix this thing.

essentially, i was waiting to switch to xenforo hoping that it would have support for these internally.

i already use caching plugins with wordpress sites hosted on the server. it has helped a lot.

Xenforo y'mean? Sure it can be done, as with any other forum software/CMS/etc, though it'd need some expertise. Provided you have 4 servers, I don't see why you can't spread stuff out over them. Maybe I'm not understanding the question though :p

Well yes, anything can be done... it's just a matter of the level of difficulty.

Top Bottom