September 11, 2001 Remembrance Thread - September 11, 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amaury

It's yet another anniversary of that eventful day because it's now been 12 years since. Let's have a moment of silence and show our respect.

*silence*

Share your stories of what it was like that day for you, but please keep them out of political territory. Don't bicker with each other, either, and respect everyone's views and opinions.

It's my mom's birthday, for the rest of the family, just as scary as anything else I have ever witnessed on this day.

I have to say that it is impossible to talk about this topic without being political, it was completely political and with different views there will be arguments in this thread. People changing their lives and the way they interact because of a single man made event only says that terrorism works and promotes it and I am pretty sure that is what Adam H is getting at.

I was nine years old when it happened, and at that time Digimon was showing on Fox.

Because it was a news channel, too, shows got interrupted that day; being the kid that I was, I was more upset over Digimon being interrupted than what happened back then. I still had Nickelodeon, Disney Channel and Cartoon Network, but I wanted to watch Digimon.

@EQnoble It's actually quite possible. If you say something like I just said, where I shared what I was doing back then, then it's not political.

I remember where I was when it happened. I was just getting off work (time zone difference). I was in the US Navy stationed at NAS (Naval Air Station) Sigonella (Sicily). I had just gotten from NAS 2 to NAS 1 (Same base but in reality 2 bases 10 miles apart from each other). I had walked into the Navy Exchange (Navy version of Walmart) and was watching it on tv. Other people in the Exchange was all like "Oh my what an accident" but I knew better.

I walked over to the base movie theater where a buddy of mine (he worked in the weapons department) worked part time and I was telling him about it. I wasn't in there more than 3 minutes when someone came in and said we had just went to THREATCON Charlie from THREATCON Alpha and they were getting all non military personnel off the base and we were going into lockdown. Not even 3 minutes after that we were at THREATCON Delta meaning total base lockdown. They were letting civilian (dependents and local nationals that worked on base) off the base but no one could get on the base.

We were like this for over 2 weeks. During the lockdown they flew in a fighter squadron and setup missile launchers all around NAS 2 (where the flight line was) and you couldn't travel from base to base unless you were on the "list". The reason we went to THREATCON Delta so fast is because intelligence reports said that NAS Sigonella was a target as well. The reason being is that everything that goes to the Persian Gulf area comes through NAS Sigonella first.

For those that don't know what THREATCON means it means Threat Condition. Alpha is the lowest one while Delta is the highest.

I was at a bankruptcy court on that day, in large part because of a crooked ex-girlfriend who stole and maxed out my credit cards, amongst other things. But that's another story! I was amazed at how easy it was getting the bankruptcy approved, seemed as if my paperwork was barely glanced at. So I was counting my good luck, smiling away, until afterward when my attorney told me what had happened with the twin towers. It was then that I realized the reason I had had it so easy was because news of the attack had already spread throughout the building and everyone was in a state of shock. It seemed so unreal to me when I was first told about it that I don't think I had much of a reaction to it, my attorney probably thought I was an a-hole. It was only after I got in my car and turned on the radio that the magnitude of it started to dawn on me. Then of course I raced home to watch the news - and, needless to say, seeing it was believing.

@EQnoble It's actually quite possible. If you say something like I just said, where I shared what I was doing back then, then it's not political.
My problem is this...many people die each day and sometimes in really horrible unnatural circumstances. No one gets stirred up or holds a moment of silence for the unnamed individual from east bumfark when his remains are found in the woods and can't be identified, nor are people doing anything about their own abusive children ruining other peoples' children's outlook on life which is also a tragedy and one that some people are forced to live with and never get closure either. People die in work place accidents when they are trying to make a living to support their family and countless other ways you never hear about. My point is, the event and making special considerations every year about it IS letting terrorism win, it really is, you are changing your way of life for something someone else did just for that exact purpose.

I don't hold remembrance for the people that died in that cowardly act, that would be impossible and illogical, I never knew them and therefor can't put a face a voice or any memory to them and hold it sacred nor would I want to take anything away from the grieving families who directly lost something because of the event other than some freedoms. I feel sorry for the victims of this crime and more so for their families. More than anything I show respect to the people that were not harmed by this event and yet put themselves in harms way to save the lives of others. That is what should be remembered, that is what being American is and that is what is being attacked when someone attacks this country. I salute those people because they are the ones who showed that Americans are not going to change and that we take care of and hold our own.

I just feel like me talking about what I was doing on that day is so petty and self absorbed...this day was not about me, it was about a bunch of innocent people being murdered by people who act in violence to spread their message. Me talking about what I was doing on the day that they acted in malice is remembering their act which is EXACTLY what the point of terrorism is which also makes my self absorbed monologue lend weight to their actions which would be a pretty stupid idea unless you want more people to attack you or want to validate their actions or something.

This is just my opinion on the whole thing, I mentioned my mother's birthday being today in the effort to try and show how ridiculous me talking about what I was doing on that day would be but I guess no one see's that? I dunno I guess I support different values.

Last edited:
Before this gets out of hand, let's keep it civil. Respect those that passed and other's opinions or this thread will be locked. Personal attacks on other members will not be permitted.

I think the whole point of people talking about what they were doing that day is to highlight the fact that most people can remember exactly what they were doing that day. It's proof of just how much of an effect that day had on us as individuals, as well as the country as a whole. It's not about being self-absorbed or inflating our own importance. Lol, why would I possibly care to share with a bunch of strangers that I was filing for bankruptcy at the time? I don't.

Individuals talking about it is not giving in to the terrorists and allowing them to direct the course of our lives. One could certainly argue that the bad guys won in the sense that in the aftermath of that day the public as a whole ignored and thereby gave their tacit assent to an unprecedented growth of government (especially federal) and law enforcement, and increasing encroachments by those bodies of our civil liberties and rights to privacy, etc., but that's a whole other story. What we're doing here is simply remembering, and it's perfectly normal, and probably healthy for people to talk about, especially those personally affected by that day.

I think the whole point of people talking about what they were doing that day is to highlight the fact that most people can remember exactly what they were doing that day. It's proof of just how much of an effect that day had on us as individuals, as well as the country as a whole. It's not about being self-absorbed or inflating our own importance. Lol, why would I possibly care to share with a bunch of strangers that I was filing for bankruptcy at the time? I don't.

Individuals talking about it is not giving in to the terrorists and allowing them to direct the course of our lives. One could certainly argue that the bad guys won in the sense that in the aftermath of that day the public as a whole ignored and thereby gave their tacit assent to an unprecedented growth of government (especially federal) and law enforcement, and increasing encroachments by those bodies of our civil liberties and rights to privacy, etc., but that's a whole other story. What we're doing here is simply remembering, and it's perfectly normal, and probably healthy for people to talk about, especially those personally affected by that day.

I just can't see it that way, many people die in natural weather phenomenon and we don't remember them even when the death toll is high in a single event. No one says, what were you doing during katrina, and nobody says let's remember all of those who perished in the San Francisco quake of 1906 even though 3000 people died there which 100 years ago was a greater slice of our population and surely effected many peoples family trees.

The whole entire reason people are still talking about it is BECAUSE it was a terrorist act, and to me identifying publicly what you were doing (other than military personnel) is telling the next terrorist....'hey if you want our attention...kill a bunch of our civilian population' and to me is dishonoring those who have died, and gives the people who's job it is to protect this country more to worry about.

To me this is one of those things that if it effects you mentally than do something about it...talking about it can incite fear of the next event for someone else, instead go show care to your fellow man and neighbor, help an old lady across the street, give a bum a sandwich I don't care, but to me an event like this which claims so many lives should not be in vain, it should be used to unite people together, and not to fight others, but to care for one another, to acknowledge that we are so absorbed in our phones , tablets and personal lives in general that we forget that we are a lonely planet in the middle of nowhere and unless we work together we are all individually just worthless specs of dust sitting on top of a big rock that will one day be dry.

I just feel like if this hits people in the heart they should do something positive and constructive with that energy and emotion rather than share experiences removed from the actual topic at hand which in the end only serves to validate terrorism.

I'll just respectfully add that for someone who seems to be so concerned with not allowing terrorists to dictate our discussions, you seem to spend a lot of time being concerned about what they are thinking and basing you decisions from that. It could be argued that you deciding to be mum on the subject based on your idea of how it would be perceived by terrorists - well, it's allowing terrorists to control your own thoughts and actions, if you get my meaning.

It can be argued that the psychological effect that day had on most Americans is akin to the effect suffered by men and women in war. Whether you agree or not that it should have affected people in that way is beside the point - the fact is it did. Have you ever known a couple of ex-military buddies who fought together who didn't reminisce over those times? I get what you're saying, I understand your perspective, I do, but human nature being what it is I don't think you're going to change anyone's mind. The only thing you can really do is choose not to participate in the conversation.

And with that, I'm out of this one. We'll just have to respectfully agree to disagree. This is all getting way off-topic. My advice is that those who want to share their story in this thread do so, and those who don't do find another thread more on topic where they can argue that the whole thing should be forgotten. ;)

To me I don't think this thread should even be in this forum, this is purely a political discussion, based on a political topic, no matter what mask you put on it, or what reasoning you attribute to it, that is what it is about, an event that happened because of a political agenda. These are my memories and thoughts on the event and in my opinion this thread shouldn't be here let alone a second one of "OPPOSING VIEWS" because of the nature of it. You can't have this discussion and have it not get political, biased, or filled with anger. This thread didn't even get off the first page before a personal attack was made, based on someones view. Basically you are saying if you feel this way post here, if not go somewhere else, but that is not how it works. This event happened and if you are going to talk about it at all, you can't tell others what points they can or can't make about it, you just don't control how people feel and only allowing some opinions is biased. All or none.

And you misunderstand my point, the simple fact that this thread exists on a webpage and was created over a decade after the fact says terrorism works, my views on it are regardless, the fact that I posted in this thread and am typing right now says they accomplished to their objective and I am posting because I believe this is a waste and contributes to crimes against the people of my country because those who would use those methods can literally see or interpret that it works. They want to be known as a force to be reckoned with, and this kind of stuff makes it so.

This is nothing like being in war with a buddy, the people who saw it on tv had nothing to do with the event, there was no one they knew, laying next to them, coughing on their own blood grasping for one last breath, the people who saw it on tv didn't have to contact someones mother and tell them their boy or girl has been killed. The only thing people are really identifying with is the terrorist act itself and really that is because they must face the realization that it could have been or could be them.

In closing I must say that you can't call the opposition to your view offtopic, the title of the thread, september-11-2001-remembrance-thread-september-11-2013 is what it is and these are my thoughts based on what I know see and remember when I read that title.

The amount of posts that have already been deleted here are a good example why we don't generally allow threads like this here. As such, I'm just going to close this. There are other sites far more suitable.

As a matter of fact, the whole Off Topic section may find itself being closed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom