1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SEO - Google indexing member profiles, good or bad?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by mrb1972, Oct 3, 2012.

1. mrb1972

mrb1972 Active Member

I noticed google has indexed all the members profiles of my site, is this a good or bad thing to happen in regards to SEO, I always thought it was best not to
  2. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

The thing about it is that Google can route your site - by standard, google wants you to have a roadmap somehow - so it's a good thing. However, it's a bad thing because spammers use it to game google's search engine - to attract more link clicks, ahem - backlinks. To the owner that owns the site, it's a bad thing, because it's a useless account... And it attracts more garbage.
    mrb1972 likes this.
  3. MagnusB

MagnusB Well-Known Member

It's a neither nor situation, I think. I disallow Google to index it, both for privacy issues and to stop my member profiles to pollute search results for my site. I want to focus on my actual content, not my members profiles. Also, it prevents any effect silent spam would have.
    Digital Doctor and mrb1972 like this.
  4. cmeinck

cmeinck Well-Known Member

For years, I allowed this figuring it couldn't hurt. With the increase in spamming of profiles, it's simply not worth the risk. I'm aggressive in tracking down spammed accounts and deleting them. If a spammer visits your site and spams a profile, there is a chance he'll send crap links to your site to build up the link value. By removing access to Google bot in robots.txt, I tend to think it limits my exposure to bad neighborhood linking done by these spammers.
  5. mrb1972

mrb1972 Active Member

if i block google seeing members in robots.txt will it remove the ones already indexed?
  6. MagnusB

No, you will have to request them being removed. It will stop from any new ones being added though.
  7. mrb1972

mrb1972 Active Member

ok can you do a batch removal? everything with "/index.php?members/" in the url or do I have to do one url at a time?
  8. MagnusB

Remove the /members/ folder, just be sure to disallow it in robots.txt first, otherwise Google will deny your request.
  9. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Well-Known Member

I'd suggest blocking profiles with your robots.txt file.
    There is generally poor content on those pages, I'd rather have google focus on the real content.
  10. mrb1972

mrb1972 Active Member

Does in matter if im using friendly urls or not, do I still use the /members/ folder in my robots.txt
  11. MagnusB

Yeah, that is assuming full friendly URL's. I might be wrong here, but if you aren't using full friendly URL's, you need to remove them one by one.
    mrb1972 likes this.