• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

XF 1.4 SEO And Members page

Hi

In 1.4 we can add members page in our sitemap

My question is:

Is it good for SEO to let search engine crawl members page?

For now, i block the members page in my robots.txt

Someone have any experience?

Should i let search engine crawl members page?

Hope you understand my English ;-)

Thank you

Mr Lucky

Should i let search engine crawl members page?
Do you mean each member's profile page? Or the list of members, e.g. https://xenforo.com/community/members/

If you mean each individual member's profile, then unless they are famous and searched for a lot, then many people would say those are thin content pages and best to have disallowed since Panda may possibly penalise thin content.

I can't see any harm in disallowing, since people aren't likely to do searches and end up on finding your site due to finding either your member list or a member profile in SERPS.

cmeinck

I wouldn't block members pages if they are indexed. You need to decide if you want them indexed or not. If that's a no, I'd put a no-index, follow tag on your member pages. Once removed from Google, I'd update your robots.txt. If you update robots.txt before removing them, you'll have a ton of pages in the index with a description "Blocked by robots.txt".

Blocking does not remove from the index. The proper method is the remove and then block.

Markos

No, it's not good to let google bot index single members page. Also i think that it would be better to remove indexing for welcome forums and areas of "low quality" content.