Sending email from another site

=MGN=RedEagle

Hi guys,

I have two websites, one giant social network with tons of software and a team of volunteers and one tiny website which runs a small service newsletter service for people. Basically, all you do on the small website is sign up and we send you emails.

Can I send the emails from my big website instead without breaking privacy laws?

I am not selling their info, nothing is really changing hands I am just sending them the mail from a new website. Is that an issue?

Would that constitute sharing data of some sort? I have not made it clear that both are owned by the same company.

If you make it clear to the users, it should befine.

Networks of sites do this all the time and theres nothing illegal about it as long as you are upfront and state it some where obvious.

Can I send the emails from my big website instead without breaking privacy laws?
Generally you want to try and reduce the chance of your emails being marked as SPAM.

Easiest way to avoid this of course is for people to opt-in, which people already do on your small website.

But if people don't recognise the sender from your big website then that could be confusing to users as they opted in from your small website. As @The Dark Wizard has suggested, if you're upfront by saying they are receiving emails due to them opting in from your small website and as long as they're able to opt-out, you should be fine.

Sure. If it follows the current laws. Though I highly recommend using a third party service to send those emails. MailChimp would do you well. Plus, their servers are whitelisted with various ISPs and email services. Who knows what went on with your servers current IP before you acquired/leased it.

Sure. If it follows the current laws. Though I highly recommend using a third party service to send those emails. MailChimp would do you well. Plus, their servers are whitelisted with various ISPs and email services. Who knows what went on with your servers current IP before you acquired/leased it.
I always thought that using a third party to send mail when you run big servers yourself would be redundant. Is the deliverability brought by these providers worth the cost when sending mail yourself costs 0?

I right now have 66,000 contacts that I message via email.

I always thought that using a third party to send mail when you run big servers yourself would be redundant. Is the deliverability brought by these providers worth the cost when sending mail yourself costs 0?

I right now have 66,000 contacts that I message via email.
Yes

Nothing ever costs 0 or rather nothing is ever free.

Nothing ever costs 0 or rather nothing is ever free.
Well, considering that I already am paying for a service that hosts my site... and it is no additional cost for ME to set up another VPS to relay all my mail from and I charge myself the same amount that I do others that I typically do work for (which is zero) - I'd classify that as free. ;)

The biggest issue is making sure the mail stays deliverable and your reputation is maintained - which is why most use other providers.

Top Bottom