Selling a forum?

Dr.Who

So I'm planning on heading back to school in Sept. and the decision kinda came out of nowhere... so I have been thinking what is going to happen with my forum.

If one was interested in selling a forum... how do you go about it, it seems there are companies who also buy forums? I honestly know nothing about the process. Any help would be appreciated guys. :)

Also, if this kind of thread isn't allowed, mods please delete.

Cheers,
CM :)

I have been a part of several forums that were sold. The typical group of buyers are in it for the money. They usually do not care about your users and in the end the forum is destroyed. This isn't always the case but depending on the success of the forums better intentioned owners often give up and resell if they don't like how it is going.

One of those forums was www.ngemu.com which was one of the more popular emulator forums. They actually switched to Xenforo after the buyout and it is DEAD. Another I was apart of was already dying, the entire dash hacks network was sold including the more popular of them all psp-hacks. The new owners flooded it with advertising, locked editing to 15 minutes to prevent people from leaving with their content and then claimed copyright on all the user data. One of the communities that sprung out of it was not terribly successful and was bought and resold by a member here on Xenforo.

If you don't have time to take care of it it's obviously in the best interests to find someone who can. If your in it for the money then you will likely find a buyer and might watch your forum die. If you are in it for a new partner or owner and not so much the money I think you will find more success at keeping it intact.

Really appreciate this info!!!! Thanks @rainmotorsports.

Okay, I'm NOT in this for the moolah, never was. I just love slingshots! :) I was hoping to sell it to a friend just to recoup my costs but he can't due to time constraints. :( I started looking up different things and some Google hits talked about selling to forum buying companies. I'm not willing to watch my forum die, so that might be out of the question entirely now.

Not any way to keep it going while you're in school? My forums don't really take too much time to manage - maybe I'm doing it wrong lol.

Not any way to keep it going while you're in school? My forums don't really take too much time to manage - maybe I'm doing it wrong lol.
I guess that's a possibility, however I'm heavily involved and can't seem to not be. Don't know if that makes sense.

So if you sold it, you'd probably still be heavily involved during your free time. :) I've always regretted selling sites I was passionate about which is why I bring this up.

Thanks @Mike Edge for the tag.
I started a conversation with you, as I'm pretty passionate about my smaller communities(ask Mike), and sling shots? I have one, and most recently saw a friend go hunting with one...simply amazing. Let's chat when you get time.

Top Bottom