Lack of interest Sell username change

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Alpha1

A relatively small feature, but of major importance. On about every large website, the admins are plagued with a mass of username change requests. Every day I get username change requests. Its a lot of work to do manually which I would really like to get rid of.

It would be very nice to allow members to change their username. Especially if they can buy a username change. This would provide a nice stream of income for webmasters.
This can be provided under 'account upgrades' similar to on digitalpoint:
https://forums.digitalpoint.com/account/upgrades

Upvote 2
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I know this is a suggestion for the core, but just wanted to make you aware of this add-on:

http://xenforo.com/community/resources/change-username.269/

Relatively small cost if you plan to add it as a premium feature. It's usergroup controlled so you can assign access to it based on a new usergroup that people are promoted into after purchasing an upgrade.

I agree it should probably be in the core, but I didn't want you patiently waiting for a feature you can get now :)

What about the other one you are currently using on xfshowcase?
Syndol makes an excellent point.

We use User Essentials at XFShowcase and it does way more than just username changes so it's worth checking out to see if there are other features besides username changes that are useful :)

Its not without reason that this function is part of the very useful 'user essentials' addon. Its essential functionality and therefore needs to be added to the core.

I wouldn't exactly call it essential for the core. It's handy and certainly saves time, but I could say that about many many things we have that I don't necessarily think need to be a core feature.
Granted. Its not essential in that a forum can not do without it. The same goes for subscriptions. It would just be very good to have.

Granted. Its not essential in that a forum can not do without it. The same goes for subscriptions. It would just be very good to have.
The problem I think is that it's not generic enough to be a core feature because it's so specific (just username change). Like what if someone wanted to charge users to have a signature or charge users to make a new thread or charge users to edit their user title, etc. I'm sure *someone* thinks all of those features would be "good to have". From a design standpoint, it's a little too specific to be a core feature in my opinion, and is perfectly suited to be an addon.

The problem I think is that it's not generic enough to be a core feature because it's so specific (just username change). Like what if someone wanted to charge users to have a signature or charge users to make a new thread or charge users to edit their user title, etc. I'm sure *someone* thinks all of those features would be "good to have". From a design standpoint, it's a little too specific to be a core feature in my opinion, and is perfectly suited to be an addon.
All your examples can already be done with usergroup permissions and are ongoing features as users can keep using / editing their signature or keep posting threads / user status.

A username change is a singular event which XF does not have any settings for.

You could take one of the above addons and only give permissions to those who buy a subscription. It doesn't charge per change but it's something in the way of what you're asking for.

All charging nonsense aside, I personally don't like the idea. I like that administrators have to change a members name, it's less confusing that way and it doesn't happen often enough to automate. If this were in core, I think people might be more inclined to change their username, which really isn't something I want to encourage.

I think it is best left as an addon.

Top Bottom