XF 1.4 Self-policing community?

Dannymh

Hi all,

I am looking at running a few experiments with my members, particularly as some can be quite anti-authority when it comes to moderators.
What I want to do is setup a forum where they can all discuss and police it themselves. Obviously I will still have the right to close down anything that is against the law etc. However I want all the members who have x amount of posts to be able to access that forum, and they can delete (remove from view) and revive everyone elses threads (not permanently delete)
I would also like to add a few features as well to things like locking a post for replies for x amount of time and I am still thinking of other unlockable features as well.

Is there any little tool that already does this or does anyone also have any other suggestions for something like that?

That's an interesting experiment. I have a "Crowd Moderation" add-on that might be of use to you as well. It soft-deletes posts based on people reporting the post.

Post count is often not a good indicator for quality or reliability. Members may post a lot of problematic things and get their post count up. It would require a form of up/down voting or reputation to see what members contribute positively.

Once you establish that, you can use usergroup promotions to give ranking member groups more permissions.

Post count is often not a good indicator for quality or reliability. Members may post a lot of problematic things and get their post count up. It would require a form of up/down voting or reputation to see what members contribute positively.

Once you establish that, you can use usergroup promotions to give ranking member groups more permissions.
It's a minimum access point, and mainly for experimental purposes. If they keep posting rubbish and have enough voted down then they will lose their rights to the forum. I definitely want some quality control in there

I suggest not having any moderators besides yourself.
no they are used to it, because I make sure the moderators hold each other accountable to the same sets of rules, they are there to help the community flow rather than drive an agenda. So it is a fine balance but everyone is quite happy, no major change like bannings or complete deleting of posts happens without the full approval of several of the moderators. This is so the heat of the moment can't take hold and make someone ban someone simply because they were having an argument with someone.

I just dont have the time to dedicate to running it all myself, as well as I am now in a completely opposite timezone to where most of my members are so the action mostly happens whilst I sleep

Top Bottom